RPM hold botton

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97Kharon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone being a mobile mechanic I constantly jump dead battery sometimes I have to increase the rpms having to hold the pedal down is the way I'm doing it currently but I would like to wire a rpm increase switch, ideas? I know it's possible for diesel version but how about gasoline version.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two options that come to mind would be some way to intercept the cruise control and force it to set without the need for a speed sensor input.

The other is a manual choke cable attached to the throttle plate and run inside the cab.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Are you thinking of a governor? Like on a gas powered full size farm tractor? No matter the load, it'll hold a steady rpm?

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you thinking of a governor? Like on a gas powered full size farm tractor? No matter the load, it'll hold a steady rpm?
I think what he is talking about is push a button and the rpm raises. On my 6.5 I have a toggle wired into the PTO pin on the PCM. When 12v is applied to it it raises the rpm to about 1200 rpm and holds it till I turn the switch off.

97Kharon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think what he is talking about is push a button and the rpm raises. On my 6.5 I have a toggle wired into the PTO pin on the PCM. When 12v is applied to it it raises the rpm to about 1200 rpm and holds it till I turn the switch off.
Thank you, I'm looking to do the same. I've found manual that says how to do it but for a diesel version which I may use but compare the wires first.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've brought this mod up a few times in wrecker forums where the guys want to idle up a bit to increase their PTO speed. It's really inexpensive, simple, and works like a champ.

Answer: idle-up solenoid for older carb-equipped vehicles, the one that kicks up the idle a bit when the A/C compressor engages. The twist on it is that you aren't installing it on the throttle linkage at the carb, instead it's super easy to mount it on the steering column support so that when you activate it, it changes the resting position of your throttle pedal. Wire up +12 from a switch, turn it on, and tap your pedal. It's not strong enough to move the pedal on its own, but when you tap the pedal the solenoid extends and becomes the new resting spot. Easy to adjust it on installation for whatever speed you find comfortable for your "high idle" position. Obviously wire not connected in this pic, but you get the idea. The solenoid last time I checked is about $35, then you just need a switch, a little bit of wire, a short flat piece of thickish strap/bar to mount it and a nut/bolt. See how the solenoid sits behind the throttle pedal arm so that when you switch it on, it extends towards the driver:

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I find a broom handle or a nice stick stuffed in the cab at the right angle provides the most convenient manner of making an engine high-idle.
And if you've got power seats you can adjust the RPM without having to move the stick itself.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've brought this mod up a few times in wrecker forums where the guys want to idle up a bit to increase their PTO speed. It's really inexpensive, simple, and works like a champ.

Answer: idle-up solenoid for older carb-equipped vehicles, the one that kicks up the idle a bit when the A/C compressor engages. The twist on it is that you aren't installing it on the throttle linkage at the carb, instead it's super easy to mount it on the steering column support so that when you activate it, it changes the resting position of your throttle pedal. Wire up +12 from a switch, turn it on, and tap your pedal. It's not strong enough to move the pedal on its own, but when you tap the pedal the solenoid extends and becomes the new resting spot. Easy to adjust it on installation for whatever speed you find comfortable for your "high idle" position. Obviously wire not connected in this pic, but you get the idea. The solenoid last time I checked is about $35, then you just need a switch, a little bit of wire, a short flat piece of thickish strap/bar to mount it and a nut/bolt. See how the solenoid sits behind the throttle pedal arm so that when you switch it on, it extends towards the driver:

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard
Just looked one up and prices have increased (as expected) and I suppose the demand for these is limited more and more as the application vehicles age-out. AC Delco has one for $68 and Standard for $65. If you can find some late 70's-late 80's carb-equipped GM vehicles in the boneyard somewhere, the solenoid could be had cheaply and is probably still good. Even if you buy one new, once you add a little wiring, switch, and basic hardware you've still solved the issue in a slick way for about $75.

Richard