Rough idle back fire then dies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hugo Berrones

Reaction score
  1. Hello I am new to this site. I alway work on my own vehicle but i am not a mechanic but enjoy fixing my own truck. So i swapped transmission on my 1995 gmc Z71 when taking it for a test drive the throttle got stuck at wot! I had to put it in neutral shut the engine off and pulled off the cruise control cable. The following day i went for a drive but reconnected the cable and the same thing happened. So before i could shut the engine off while truck was in neutral engine was REDLING like crazy!. Now my truck turns on but as soon as i begin to accelerate it backfires and dies. Im thinking out of timing hopefully nothing major but have no idea where to start. Thanks in advance for your help

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
  1. Hello I am new to this site. I alway work on my own vehicle but i am not a mechanic but enjoy fixing my own truck. So i swapped transmission on my 1995 gmc Z71 when taking it for a test drive the throttle got stuck at wot! I had to put it in neutral shut the engine off and pulled off the cruise control cable. The following day i went for a drive but reconnected the cable and the same thing happened. So before i could shut the engine off while truck was in neutral engine was REDLING like crazy!. Now my truck turns on but as soon as i begin to accelerate it backfires and dies. Im thinking out of timing hopefully nothing major but have no idea where to start. Thanks in advance for your help

I'm limited with tbi or trannys... so what I would do is double check all you've touched on the swap and make sure you didnt damage anything. High idle I would look at vacuum hoses or iac. Backfire I would check dist and wires. Why cruise control has to be disconnected has me a little confused. That's why I would check wiring around the tranny or cable.
A tbi wizard should chime in hopefully

Hugo Berrones

Reaction score
I'm limited with tbi or trannys... so what I would do is double check all you've touched on the swap and make sure you didnt damage anything. High idle I would look at vacuum hoses or iac. Backfire I would check dist and wires. Why cruise control has to be disconnected has me a little confused. That's why I would check wiring around the tranny or cable.
A tbi wizard should chime in hopefully

Yes I will go back and double check the wiring. The reason I pulled off the cruise control cable is. The cruise control went crazy and all 9n its own pulled and was stuck at full throttle. I had my foot on the brake and engine was REDLING.