Rogue's '97 Chevy K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rogue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I figured I'd do a write up on my ongoing (mis)adventure's of the 1997 Chevrolet K1500 5.7L Silverado I picked up last October. This is sort of a way for me to document for myself stuff I've done (and learned from) and to possibly entertain anyone else perusing the forums. It's been an expensive adventure thus far, but I hope I've got most of the expensive fixes done.

Noticed an ad on a Chevy Dealer's website for this beaut below....1 owner, regular cab (like my old man's 1988 reg cab he bought new that I grew up riding around with him in) with an 8 foot bed. 145,000 miles on it, and the Z71 package. These are the dealer's photos:

You must be registered for see images attach

Once I got it home, first thing I noticed was when I went to top the tank off, discovered it had a leak when it was near full. Took it to my mechanic (since I didn't have the time last year for my own work) to get a coolant flush, tranny flush, and transfer case fluid change.

That's when things got interesting and expensive. The following were done within the next few months:
-Intake manifold gaskets at mechanic. Leaking, of course, right?
-Rear brake drums and bearings. Wheel cylinders were leaking and leaving me with no brakes. Thanks for selling me that, dealership!
-New fuel tank, lines, and pump.

Decided after those three trips to the mechanic that I'll be doing the rest of my stuff on this truck. I have another vehicle I alternate with daily driving, so...

Put a new stereo in since the old one was totally shot in the middle of a winter storm (hence the 4wd selected). Plus, I needed something to play my iPod on because I grow real tired of commercials on the radio:

In January of 2015, I did the tie rod ends and end links:

In April, I repainted the letters back on the tailgate. Not perfect by any means, but better than before.

Annnd ball joints in June, I never want to do that again. I learned to get the lowers off to just light it on fire, and beat the h*ll out of them with a 4lb hammer and it'll go smooth :pokeowned:

By spring, the mechanic's rear differential fluid service job was already leaking after replacing my rear seals...so I did it myself with a real gasket and a bit of sealer so it would stay put. Replaced the cover too to make sure it wasn't warped or anything.

My radiator started leaking, so I replaced that too. Didn't get any pictures of that.

This is how she sits today:

The neighbors are always confused...between my dad's 88 K1500 and my 97 K1500, they don't know which one is which.

My interior (for now)

All cleaned and waxed up.

Future plans include the temperature/compass mirror mod thanks to PolarBear, and I just got an underhood storage box to replace my extra battery tray from thz71. I've been thinking About fixing the cab corners at some point and getting a new tailgate since the hinges were welded back on and it sits crooked (thanks to the previous owner).

white_trash88

Im too drunk to taste that chicken
Reaction score
Dude, your truck looks great. Are you planning on lifting it at all with rim/tires or keeping it relatively stock looking?

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Holy crap I had to do a double take lol. My dad bought this '88 Cheyenne back in 1990 and I grew up in it. Still have it too.

Rogue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dude, your truck looks great. Are you planning on lifting it at all with rim/tires or keeping it relatively stock looking?

Thanks, man! It has a few bad spots, such as lower parts of both doors and a nice big dent at the bottom of the passenger side door. I'll probably keep it relatively stock looking, since I prefer that clean look. I will probably get bigger tires on the stock rims if possible and start doing minor rust fixes on it. Biggest thing is to keep it mechanically sound first, and then possibly do some appearance mods/maintenance. THe bumpers are rusting through and I want to replace those too.

Rogue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Holy crap I had to do a double take lol. My dad bought this '88 Cheyenne back in 1990 and I grew up in it. Still have it too.

No way, there's another one out there!!! Looks nice! :) I love those square head lights on those early OBS trucks! That truck is an identical twin minus the lack of running boards and the black center caps! :drool: His has a 305 and at one point until last year lost the same center cap on the rear passenger side that yours is missing! haha

Here's some more current day pics for ya:

Drove it to campus some before I got mine.

Some pics of it after cleaning

And some more of it on the road/different places

mistaake

Reaction score
Great looking long bed and it's pretty funny that it's basically a newer version of dad's truck :D Gotta love Vortec intake gaskets!

white_trash88

Im too drunk to taste that chicken
Reaction score
Thanks, man! It has a few bad spots, such as lower parts of both doors and a nice big dent at the bottom of the passenger side door. I'll probably keep it relatively stock looking, since I prefer that clean look. I will probably get bigger tires on the stock rims if possible and start doing minor rust fixes on it. Biggest thing is to keep it mechanically sound first, and then possibly do some appearance mods/maintenance. THe bumpers are rusting through and I want to replace those too.
285's would look great with a smoothie diesel bumper with fog lights.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Twins??? That's funny!

I agree, some larger tires will look great! Along with the rust repair.