Rocker panel replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96z71sas

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody ever do these on an ext cab 96 believe it's also called gmt400. The outers are starting to go want to replace but I don't have a welder what do u think it will cost at body shop no paint just weld in just asking I live in Pittsburgh PA if anybody can weld them in thanks.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You need to find a shop willing to do rust work first of all. I would figure about a days work to cut out and weld in new if the inners are solid. The full rockers are easier to put on the slip ons end up with a long seam. I will not weld on the slip ons but I have riveted them on in the past just so someone would pass state inspection.

96z71sas

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to attempt it myself I bought full rockers and the inners are very solid from outside anyway I have a welder with no gas from harbor freight it's 110 idk if it will be a good enuff welder or not thanks for replying.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get a couple pieces of scrap sheet metal and do some tests Most rockers are 18 gauge so weld pretty easy. A 110 welder should do the job but I have never used the flux wire only used gas shielded welders. Most of your welding will be plug welds if doing full rockers.