Right front takes a plunge when braking.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll get right to it. Not a GMT400 but an 800. CCSB, 4WD. When braking, the right front dives like someone is pressing down hard on that corner of the vehicle. It does not pull to the right. The solution to that would be obvious, and I just put ALL new brakes on this thing not even 6 months ago.

Some of you may remember that the brakes refused to bleed and I had no pedal until it was realized that my front calipers were backwards. Of course that's fixed, but what would make just that corner of the vehicle do that? Both front shocks are new, the rears are serviceable.

I actually found that both rear shocks were loose on the bottom at one point but that's been fixed, too.

Before I go mindlessly tearing into this, anyone have any suggestions? I need it on the road by Saturday morning.

Thanks in advance.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll get right to it. Not a GMT400 but an 800. CCSB, 4WD. When braking, the right front dives like someone is pressing down hard on that corner of the vehicle.

Since we're grasping...

Is there a problem with the shocks in back of the truck, which allow the rear to raise in such a way (e.g., at left rear) so that it causes a corresponding droop in the opposite corner (right front)?

As @GoToGuy suggested, on ALL FOUR corners, individually, jump up and down on the bumper. See what happens; watch the body's response.

Also x2 on @Supercharged111 comment.

Another random thought: If the front sway bar and both links were in good condition, they would counteract a tendency to dive on one corner. If you're under the vehicle, check them out. I've seen a case where the link on one side broke, but it looked OK upon casual glance and it could still press (but not pull) against the lower control arm.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd look at the brakes first.

I'll get right to it. Not a GMT400 but an 800. CCSB, 4WD. When braking, the right front dives like someone is pressing down hard on that corner of the vehicle. It does not pull to the right. The solution to that would be obvious, and I just put ALL new brakes on this thing not even 6 months ago.
I'd look for a lazy left hand side caliper (stuck, collapsed hose, etc) even though it doesn't pull to the right as vehicles with ABS are configured differently from pre-ABS.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since we're grasping...

Is there a problem with the shocks in back of the truck, which allow the rear to raise in such a way (e.g., at left rear) so that it causes a corresponding droop in the opposite corner (right front)?

As @GoToGuy suggested, on ALL FOUR corners, individually, jump up and down on the bumper. See what happens; watch the body's response.

Also x2 on @Supercharged111 comment.

Another random thought: If the front sway bar and both links were in good condition, they would counteract a tendency to dive on one corner. If you're under the vehicle, check them out. I've seen a case where the link on one side broke, but it looked OK upon casual glance and it could still press (but not pull) against the lower
What exactly should I be looking for?