Rick's 1991 Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick1991

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The dropped shackles have 2 holes for the leaf spring mount. 1 for a 1" drop, the other = 2".
The 6" drop is done with the stock shackles & hangers. Using the drop shackles with the springs mounted on the first hole can get you that extra inch.
Don't use the front lowered hangers. They drop the truck 2", but they also cause a lot of the headaches associated with the pinion angle.

Oh good to know, I guess I'll be putting in the drop shackle.

Rick1991

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I put in the factory shackle and the back went down about .75" but now it looks like the front sits up higher. We where going to cut the coils but figured we would think about it. Is there ever a height I'll be content with?
You must be registered for see images attach

We also repainted the front calipers and the front of discs. The rusted parts where getting wet and then dripping onto the aluminum which made the inside of the rim look super dirty!

Also mocked up some "gauges." I think I will be ordering a 2 5/8" Speedhut tach and temperature gauges in preparation for a hopeful LS swap early next spring.

Last edited:

Rick1991

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ordered some Speedhut gauges. Got a temp gauge in Fahrenheit, even though I live in the land of the metrics, but I wish I didn't. Next time I'm down in California I plan on picking up a Imperial gauge cluster exactly like the one I have now and swapping it over. RPM gauge up to 8000 because an LS3 redlines at 6600RPM, I am really starting to plan for the swap. Trying to save every penny and hoping to start tearing down the truck early spring.

Also after going lower the rears rub with the 5mm spacer, so I took it out and made an appointment for a fender roll. I did the fenders on my Subaru but the metal was thinner and I still didn't do the best job so now I'll just pay the professionals for the piece of mind. Then I will have so much more room for activities!

04silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow...love the wheels man. If I was still static something like this is exactly what I'd shoot for. I think that style wheel in a 20 would look great as well. Good job and keep up the good work.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Rick1991

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow...love the wheels man. If I was still static something like this is exactly what I'd shoot for. I think that style wheel in a 20 would look great as well. Good job and keep up the good work.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Thanks man, I was considering 20s but it was more money for rims and then tires. Honestly I didn't want to make it look too donked out, still wanted a bit of rubber and not lowpros. I've seen 20's and I don't hate them but I don't love them.

Rick1991

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well over my holiday I did some researching about swapping an LS into my truck. The LS3 thing that I wanted to do is way too expensive especially on a lubetech income. So with the further research I looked into picking up a 6.0L Vortec, more specifically an LY6. So I went on car-part.com and searched for it, I was able to source one locally. It is out of a 2007 Suburban 2500, ex-cop unit that was rear ended. The nice thing about it being an ex-cop unit is that the maintenance I'm sure was always up to par. (88,000km)

In preparation for this buy I picked up some new tools when I was in Washington from harbour freight, 1000LB engine stand, and new 3 ton jack. (My last one was brutal) Aswell as two books on LS engines so I can educate myself.

I put a deposit on the engine and it shall be picked up Saturday, with the electronic gas pedal, gas pedal harness, ECM, MAF, air temp sensor, and alternator.

Pics this weekend.