Revert to R12

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95SUBURBANLM7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it as simple as changing the fittings, dryer, etc to R12 and flushing out the 134a to R12?

Thanks for any help.

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Should be that simple, but I don't know why on earth you would do that.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Exactly. R-12 is as extinct as dinosaur teeth, I have no idea why you would want to go back to it.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
If you are having poor A/C system performance, you may have an evaporator core that has a coating of oil and dust on it or a dozen other factors, including cab size, leaking ducting in the hvac system, problems with doors sealing, etc.

95SUBURBANLM7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Ill take a look into it. If 134a is just as good, Id rather leave my system alone.

No, no troubles with the system other then a blown compressor. Ive just heard that R12 was superior at cooling compared to 134a. If that study is true, Ill stick with what I have.

Thanks for the replies!

Jacob

Reaction score
You hear that because r134a doesn't work to well in r12 systems that have been converted over. The reason it doesn't work is because it isn't designed for it.

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
R12 was forbidden in 2004 so filling it up will most likely be an issue. From what I've heard R134a is a fairly close match to R12, R134a is just slightly less efficient. My dad works with industrial cooling, mostly custom built walk in coolers and freezers, his been doing that for about 35+ years and has converted hundreds of R12 systems to R134a without issues.

The AC in my truck uses R134a and it's really cold and I don't think anything has been done to it in about 10 years!
You might wanna start with checking you system, make sure there is enough R134a and that it's not leaking, if it's just a little low the cooling effect goes down alot and if it's leaking you don't get the correct pressure in the system.