Reverse Lights in Park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
1997 Chevy 1500 ccsb, every since I have owned the truck the reverse lights are on in park. No matter how much you wiggle the shifter in reverse they do not come on there. I had a tranny put in a while back and the shop said they replaced the NSS and it didn't change anything and had no suggestions for me. I would really like to have back up lights, got any ideas? I pulled this part http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-actuator-a-trns-shft-lk-cont-26060737.html and it made no difference.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm on a 1997 that there is a nub on inside the column by the shifter?

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Guess I will tear into the steering column just to see if there is something in there that is pressed when the shifter is in reverse. I will let you guys know what I find out since this no one has ever done this before.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Forgot to update to tell the fix. I hate it when people do this so here it is. I checked at the neutral safety switch on the transmission and there was not enough adjustment to make the lights come on in reverse, so I took the loom apart to discover someone had replaced the wiring end and there were two green wires that looked to be the same color. I switched them and everything worked after that. I now even have to press the brake to pull it out of park which wasn't working as well.