Retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is what im working on. Lights are from a Mitsu 3000GT.

You must be registered for see images attach

kkirwan71

women problems
Reaction score
This is what im working on. Lights are from a Mitsu 3000GT.

Fiberglass mold the whole thing and use the phantom insert to cover the bulbs. Looks sweet!

Sent my 3/4 ton iPhone

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its got a ways to go. Im thinking of bending a piece of 1/8" aluminum to cover all the workings. And maybe seeing if I can suspend a piece of plexi in front to protect the lenses.

kkirwan71

women problems
Reaction score
Its got a ways to go. Im thinking of bending a piece of 1/8" aluminum to cover all the workings. And maybe seeing if I can suspend a piece of plexi in front to protect the lenses.

I don't think plexiglass would last maybe lexan like they use in race cars or poly carbonate but I've seen projectors in 4th gen camaros exposed and last just fine

Sent my 3/4 ton iPhone

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Based on that, I think it's possible the spyders you have in that pick are most likely the cheap knock-offs of an already cheap headlight. If you search around on ebay, the spyder specific projectors are $125+ just for headlights. Then there are ones that look identical to the spyders, that include the corner markers and signal lights that are less that $80.

Reread the statement, not anzos, they are identical to them though, I know they are the cheaper versions

:)

This is what makes this topic confusing. You guys are talking about the same thing but your not on the same page. Damn inter webs...

When it comes to direct replacement projector headlights for this platform there is the Spyder brand and there is the cheap knock off. I think people lump the Spyder brand with the knock off brand.

Right?

I still plan on getting the spyders, and running 35w 5000K hids in them. I will post a review on them once I get them. I know it's not as good as a true retrofit, but it's a whole lot better than stock, and it's cheap.
Additionally, if you're right, and they melt - Well I'll make sure to let everyone know, and apologize to you for not listening to your warning.

I noticed that Spyder offers their headlights all by themselves or with a 6000k HID kit. The guy in the youtube video I posted bought the projectors and HID kit. I prefer 5000k over 6000k.

Let us know how that goes.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think people lump the Spyder brand with the knock off brand. Right?

Pretty much what I've always thought in regard to Spyder.

EDIT - Or any sub-$500 non-retrofit projectors for that matter, I don't think I've ever read an account of someone being happy with them in the long run. Terrible light pattern, bad cut off lines, melting, etc.

DOUBLE EDIT - As far as the DOT approved/ISO standard comment earlier, I wouldn't put too much stock in those claims. I've seen headlights that claim to adhere to these standards that no one in their right mind would ever approve legally. On the flip side, none of these home built retrofits are DOT/ISO approved and I'd trust them way more than 90% of the aftermarket lights out there.

Last edited: