Replacing carpet in my 98 ext cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I am wanting to get rid of the carpet in my 98 extended cab z71 and I had a few question. To start off This is my daily and I am in college so it spends alot of time on asphalt. I will need recommendations of something that will hold up well insulate very well and deaden road noises. I was curious if anyone has used any sort of bed liner or rubber mat to do this? If so what and how well does it hold up, insulate, and deaden sound. Any tips can help. Thanks.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
This is 'Fat Mat', but any of the other sound deadeners work just as well. DynaMat, Hush Mat, etc. Apparently the Hush Mat out performs the rest, but that's on their say-so. Just make sure that you cover the surfaces completely. Overlap the pieces by about 1/8". Use a roller on all of it to make sure it forms to the panels and is stuck down very well.
Did the complete interior in stages over 3 or 4 months. Headliner, back wall, doors, then the floor. Had to do it this way 'cause it's my DD

Floor. ('cause that's what you asked about first!)

You must be registered for see images attach

Then I covered the floor with 1/8" closed cell foam.
Got it from these guys. Also got the 1/2" from them that I used further down in the install.
http://www.hushmat.com/NEW_Car_Audio_Megabond.php

I don't have any pix of the floor when I did this, but I put down 3 strips across the length of each foot well first, same as how I did the roof. The strips help to cancel out any resonance. Always do an uneven number.

You're doors transfer about 70% of the road noise. Don't have any pix, but the inside of the outer door skin was also done the same as the roof. Then the inner door skin was covered. Just don't cover those vents in the doors! You can also put another layer on the inside of the plastic door panel.
I also did the 'A' pillars at this time.
Once that was done I moved onto the back wall.

Which was then covered in 1/2" closed cell foam. Since this thickness of foam is a bit heavy, I roughed up the side to be glued with a wire brush.

I did this whole job with the interior in, with the exception of the floor, of course.
This has totally changed the feel of the truck. It feels more substantial, especially when closing the doors. The difference in road noise is like night & day! I can have a Harley with shotgun pipes on it beside me on the freeway @ 60mph+, roll up the window & I can have a normal conversation! No more creaks & groans anymore, too. The stereo sounds better. I don't have to run the heater as hot as I used to, nor for as long. It's just more enjoyable to drive.
One of the best mods I've done to the truck!
I recommend this to all my customers for their project vehicles.

DR CHOP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is 'Fat Mat', but any of the other sound deadeners work just as well. DynaMat, Hush Mat, etc. Apparently the Hush Mat out performs the rest, but that's on their say-so. Just make sure that you cover the surfaces completely. Overlap the pieces by about 1/8". Use a roller on all of it to make sure it forms to the panels and is stuck down very well.
Did the complete interior in stages over 3 or 4 months. Headliner, back wall, doors, then the floor. Had to do it this way 'cause it's my DD

Floor. ('cause that's what you asked about first!)

Then I covered the floor with 1/8" closed cell foam.
Got it from these guys. Also got the 1/2" from them that I used further down in the install.
http://www.hushmat.com/NEW_Car_Audio_Megabond.php

I don't have any pix of the floor when I did this, but I put down 3 strips across the length of each foot well first, same as how I did the roof. The strips help to cancel out any resonance. Always do an uneven number.

You're doors transfer about 70% of the road noise. Don't have any pix, but the inside of the outer door skin was also done the same as the roof. Then the inner door skin was covered. Just don't cover those vents in the doors! You can also put another layer on the inside of the plastic door panel.
I also did the 'A' pillars at this time.
Once that was done I moved onto the back wall.

Which was then covered in 1/2" closed cell foam. Since this thickness of foam is a bit heavy, I roughed up the side to be glued with a wire brush.

I did this whole job with the interior in, with the exception of the floor, of course.
This has totally changed the feel of the truck. It feels more substantial, especially when closing the doors. The difference in road noise is like night & day! I can have a Harley with shotgun pipes on it beside me on the freeway @ 60mph+, roll up the window & I can have a normal conversation! No more creaks & groans anymore, too. The stereo sounds better. I don't have to run the heater as hot as I used to, nor for as long. It's just more enjoyable to drive.
One of the best mods I've done to the truck!
I recommend this to all my customers for their project vehicles.

X2, I always try to talk customers into going this route. They always back out of this step. I guess no one likes to spend money where they can't see it, exept me. Best thing I did on some of my trucks also.