replacing battery cables

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kkirwan71

women problems
Reaction score
There's a guy on here named thz71 check out the chat thread to find him and ask him I'm stumped

Sent my 3/4 ton iPhone

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
One wire goes to the n/c side of the starter solenoid one wire goes to the alternator the small wire on the starter comes from a relay that is activated by the ignition switch

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I think he is talking about the wire to the back of the alternator. Its the one made into the new battery cable right? The other wire on the starter goes into the truck harness, not the battery cable.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I think he is talking about the wire to the back of the alternator. Its the one made into the new battery cable right? The other wire on the starter goes into the truck harness, not the battery cable.
I just said that haha

Cody302

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right now there is a wire running off the big terminal on my solenoid to the positive terminal on my battery and another one running from the small terminal on solenoid to the Ground terminal on my passenger side power block. I had a wire running from the small terminal on the battery positive to the alternator but all it did was arc. Negative is grounded at engine block and small ground is at inner passenger side fender

Last edited:

Cody302

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So i just remembered i have access to Identifix and pulled up a diagram. However, this just doesn't seem right.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Cody302

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried connecting to that all the terminals in the passenger side power block but all it does is spin the starter, whether the ignition is on or not

Tried connecting to the alternator, same result

There is also a purple wire in the passenger side engine bay, Not sure where it connects to?

Last edited:

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You are sooo over thinking this..

POSITIVE S
1 wire - alt to battery +
1 wire - large lug on starter too battery +
1 wire - small lug on starter to ignition (start) wire
1 wire - junction box on firewall to battery +(sometimes the power is taken from the big starter lug on the starter instead of right from the battery then to the junction box)

GROUNDS
1 wire - frame to battery -
1 wire - block(usually to intake manifold or head) to battery -
1 wire - engine to firewall
1 wire - fender to battery -

Last edited: