Replacing all key switchs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question about the keys on these trucks..

My ignition switch itself is fine and works great, but both door locks are pushed in and seized. I've contemplating pulling them out and trying to free them up, but for the amount of work I think it's better to just replace them. I also have to replaced the passenger side door handle rod and latch anyways.

Is there anyway to buy lock cylinders for my vin so I don't have to get new keys? I would like the door keys and ignition key to all be the same, even though my truck has remote locks. The other thing, would you have to change the air bag on/off switch too? If there was a set at the junkyard I'd probably pull them, but every truck I've found with power locks and an air bag switch are either seized as well, or the wrecking yard has lost the keys.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any lock smith can code the locks to match your keys, not a big deal. I would just soak them with penetrating oil you should be able to free them up.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If they pushed into the door the problem is with the retainer not the lock cylinders. Sounds like they were not installed correctly at one time. Unless someone just hammered them in that could damage the locks.

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
If they pushed into the door the problem is with the retainer not the lock cylinders. Sounds like they were not installed correctly at one time. Unless someone just hammered them in that could damage the locks.

I'm aware of this, but they are also seized, and as you said, damaged beyond repair. Hence why I need to replace them, hence why this thread was created, hence why I am searching for an answer.

PeteyG708

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a new set of door locks cylinders from RockAuto (Wells, I believe) and replaced them on mine. I took the old set and the new set to a locksmith, and they rekeyed the new set to my existing key. So I use the same single key that my truck came with to open the doors and turn the ignition.

Haven’t had any problems with them now, and I rarely use them since I got a keyless entry 2-way alarm system.

Edit: Door Lock Cylinders, and some spelling mistakes.