Replaced intake gasket, now I get a loud ticking noise on cold start ups

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VonSchmills

Reaction score
So I replaced my Intake gasket on my 99 Suburban's 5.7l . It has lasted a good 200k miles before I had to go in there and replace it.

Now that everything is back on and running, when I start it up it has a loud ticking noise on cold start ups. (If weather is below 55 degrees F it ticks, above it nothing).

The ticking goes away after it warms up, but its very annoying considering that before I removed all the parts it ran smooth and quiet not matter the temp outside.

I've also noticed that starting it up isnt as fast and requires a longer hold on the ignition key to fire up.

Any clue as to what it might be?

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
could be lifters. I had the same thing happen to my 95 when i did the gaskets.

ericinga

Reaction score
I had the same problem. I changed the oil. Put in 4 quarts of 15W40 and 1 quart of ATF. I noticed a reduction in the lifter ticking after an hour of running. Ran the mixture for 1,000 miles and changed it to straight 15W40. The lifter ticking is hardly noticeable.

The detergents in the ATF work into the hydraulic lifters, piston rings and seals to loosen them up. I had pounds of sludge in this motor (literally scooped it out of the valve covers). I replaced the valve cover gaskets after doing this and it is spotless.

I like to use 15W40 since it has a zinc package and detergents.

Learned this trick from my dad. After 50 years as a mechanic, he still pulls new tricks out of his bag.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the same problem. I changed the oil. Put in 4 quarts of 15W40 and 1 quart of ATF. I noticed a reduction in the lifter ticking after an hour of running. Ran the mixture for 1,000 miles and changed it to straight 15W40. The lifter ticking is hardly noticeable.

The detergents in the ATF work into the hydraulic lifters, piston rings and seals to loosen them up. I had pounds of sludge in this motor (literally scooped it out of the valve covers). I replaced the valve cover gaskets after doing this and it is spotless.

I like to use 15W40 since it has a zinc package and detergents.

Learned this trick from my dad. After 50 years as a mechanic, he still pulls new tricks out of his bag.
I've never heard of running ATF in the crankcase. Are there any risks in doing this?

ericinga

Reaction score
I've never heard of running ATF in the crankcase. Are there any risks in doing this?
None that I have experienced. Done it a number of times. I did it this time due to the amount of sludge in the motor and the lack of use. The PO put 5K miles on it in 9 years.

You can run Marvels Mystery Oil instead of ATF.

I use the heavier weight oil to off set the lighter weight ATF.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
None that I have experienced. Done it a number of times. I did it this time due to the amount of sludge in the motor and the lack of use. The PO put 5K miles on it in 9 years.

You can run Marvels Mystery Oil instead of ATF.

I use the heavier weight oil to off set the lighter weight ATF.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Is this only relevant for engines with hydraulic lifters?