Replace wheel stud without taking out entire hub assembly?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a few front passenger side wheel studs that are pretty chewed up and need to be replaced. Is there enough room to hammer them out and get back in without having to remove the brake caliper and hub assembly?

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Not really, But it's not really all that hard. Remove the caliper and rotor, then rotate the hub to the open spot where the caliper was mounted and there is enough room to pound out the old stud and put the new on in. I usually put a large nut over the stud and then use the lug nut to draw it through the flange. On a 2WD, you need to pull the caliper and rotor and the stud is right there.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will try to get through it with just removing the caliper. I really didn't want to have to take the hub all the way out again but if it needs to be done then so be it. I will try to get to it this week and see what I can get done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I just replaced one with a 20 ton hydraulic press, even off the truck it was a PITA

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
If it's for the K2500 in your sig then the hub assembly has to come off.

That's how my '96 was anyway, I don't think the hub set-ups on these K2500's ever changed over the years.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is indeed for the K2500. My bro-in-law gave me a set of 18" wheels with tires yesterday and in the process of putting them on the studs got boogered up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk