Removing Roof Seam Filler strips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Norcalz71

Reaction score
Roof unfortunately needs to be repainted, paint most everywhere is still money. Anyone know how the filler strips in the seams/drip rails come out and if they are easy to break. My understanding is they are no longer available, but there in also some surface rust down in the seams that needs to be cleaned up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Norcalz71

Reaction score
Can't get the strips? Just fill 'em!

You must be registered for see images attach

Lowers done, too.

You must be registered for see images attach
Any disadvantage to that (other than more panels to repaint)? Weld filled in order body filler/Bondo? Looks clean, overall the paint on this truck is still stellar save a few spots so I've been happy to say it's original. Trying to keep the repaint to a minimum

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Not my truck in those pix. Not a 'real' bodyman, but I've done my share. The majority of my experience is related to plug prep when making fiberglass molds, which have to be perfect in order to get a perfect end-product. Lotsa sanding!
Kayaks, canoes, 'egg chairs', Dune Buggy & Funny Car bodies. Stuff like that.
From my limited actual metal experience, (I can weld) I'd say fill-weld, grind, skim coat & go from there. Paint the whole roof from the body-line, up.
Those grooves for the filler strip are a bit deep to just fill with bondo for my liking.
But, maybe someone that's actually paid to do bodywork and probably knows better than I do could jump in here. They may feel that it'd be no prob to go all bondo.
I'll defer to their expertise.

Norcalz71

Reaction score
Go run an experiment at the local pick and pull. You'll see just how easy they are to pop off/break. It'll be worth the price of admission.
Actually a great idea. I figured there had to be a YouTube video of the operation (there seems to be for everything on earth) but if one doesn't turn up I'll try the junkyard

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They have a keyhole slot. I cnt remember which direction they slide. I think towards the back an upwards. I've got pics somewhere. I didnt break mine pulling them but they are pretty flimsy and easy to bend

Norcalz71

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for that picture very helpful, so they are just snap in not glued or anything? Down in that seam is one of the very few places I have a touch of surface rust, so need to get them out to tackle it

S1I2F3

Reaction score
There is a metal keyhole slot at the side toward the front of the truck (pictured), and then there is a plastic keyhole insert that snaps into the other end (can be purchased on LMC and eBay). You’ll likely break the plastic inserts when removing. LMC part number 31-1358, think they’re like $1 ea