Removing Fan Clutch on 5.7 Vortec to repalce with Flex-a-lite fan.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caleb Hughes

Reaction score
I have a 97 Chevy Tahoe that I have tested and found the fan clutch to be SHOT instead of dropping the 100 bucks for a new one or converting to electric fans, would it be possible to remove the fan clutch and just put a fixed mechanical flex-a-lite fan on the truck? I know it would hurt HP and Mileage but honestly its as aerodynamic as a shoe box, lifted 6-7" and running on 35s so mileage ain't really a big concern as it only gets driven 1 week a month when I am home.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If I were you I'd just replace the clutch. Much cheaper than converting to e-fans, and you keep all the benefits of the clutch fan system. You don't really need the $100 ACDelco fan clutches, Hayden makes a $40 equivalent that's just fine.

Flex fans have all the downsides you listed, plus they're sharp and easy to cut yourself on working around them. One of the main reasons I upgraded my Monte Carlo back to a factory clutch fan setup.

Here's a link to the Hayden clutch I mentioned, part number 2626.

https://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Automotive-2626-Premium-Clutch/dp/B000C3F31G

Also hello and welcome to the site from another Columbia resident! First time I've seen someone else from my city post here.