removing cat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danman6677

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
has anybody removed their cat and noticed improvements in MPGs and throttle response. How will you know if your cat is plugged?

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Oh that's not good ragmc....i removed mine and also changed to full length true dual exhaust and gained mpg's....only about 3 mpg highway. I did notice less torque, but it's prolly from the free'd exhaust, and maybe a lil from the cat....idk. Removed the cat from my van and gained torque according to the dyno....but only like 7lbs/ft.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
If you're cat is severely plugged, you won't be able to keep high rpm's for very long, especially after it's warmed up, you could rev and it'd feel like something holding it back(like powerbraking without braking free the tires)....if it's stopped up, it'll only run for a few seconds, and either die or blow a gasket in the exhaust, or both............sometimes when the engines cold it'll do ok until the cat warms up and all the debris(the clot) begins to meld together causing it to completely block passages.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have removed a bunch of convertor's and I've alway's gotten a little bit better mileage maybe 1 or 2 mpg.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
it'll have more rumble at idle, but my c1500 and k1500 both had straights, the C had no cats and the K had it's cat still. The C was much more rumbly....but ofcourse, the K had a Y-split immediately after cat into dual straights, so the cat could've been acting like a crosspipe and made the idle sound much smoother. But I do know that the C rumble-popped just about all rpms....the K would only growl if you laid into it pretty good.

danman6677

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well I had an exhaust shop cut ot my cat and run 3" pipe all the way to my 2.5" Flowtech Raptor and a turndown at a 45 angle in front of the rear wheel, nice sound but has a grain truck cackle under the cab, need to install carpet and hush mat next