Removing air pump question on '89 454....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeckArtist

Reaction score
So thinking about the removal process...what goes in the place of the air pump once removed in the serpentine belt system on a BB 454?

If there's nothing in that spot, what belt would I ask for?

Thanks!

Rocky454SS

Reaction score
I was looking for info on this also. There is a delete pulley available. I am most likely going that route. I may try measuring what size belt I need without it. Looks like it can go either way but I have not found anything to confirm it yet. Worse case I will get the delete pulley

Big Blocker

Reaction score
So, I too am getting ready to delete the EGR and the AIR pump on my 7.4L. I am really confused on whether or not I will have to dick with the timing or not. Some say yes and some say no?????? If so what do I set it to?

DeckArtist

Reaction score
Timing should not change I am told. I'll ask my mechanic buddy and see what he says, but I've yet to hear of anyone having to change it.

blacksport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if it's fuel injected no air pump will throw off the air fuel ratio as in the o2 sensor will not read right
why are we doing away with it? it has almost no drag on the motor.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
EGR will need to be tuned out of the PCM if you want to delete that properly as well. Otherwise you'll have a possibility of pinging at part throttle and a constant check engine light.

DeckArtist

Reaction score
Eventually I want to add headers so the air pump will go the way of the trash. EGR will likely stay unless it creates a problem. Just want to clean up the compartment as much as possible. I know it doesn't drag much, that's not a consideration in a one ton dually really.

Reaction score
Eventually I want to add headers so the air pump will go the way of the trash. EGR will likely stay unless it creates a problem. Just want to clean up the compartment as much as possible. I know it doesn't drag much, that's not a consideration in a one ton dually really.
Did you end up doing it? and how? i have a 89 454 1 ton and that smog plug is really annoying and im hoping to do headers soon.

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I first did mine I removed the 3 bolts holding the pulley in and removed it. Then ran the shorter belt. No codes and it ran fine. I then removed the EGR and blocked it off. Got a EGR code every once and a while. Still ran fine. I have since gotten a new chip burned. So no codes now.

Attachments

• 91A9E5D6-E74A-4A39-A3FB-7A3FE1C17E7C.jpeg
    91A9E5D6-E74A-4A39-A3FB-7A3FE1C17E7C.jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 34
  • F46BADB2-0A32-41A4-B2C5-B89D222B723E.jpeg
    F46BADB2-0A32-41A4-B2C5-B89D222B723E.jpeg
    199.7 KB · Views: 34