Relocating Battery to Bed Questions???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay so i have done some research and didn't find anything i felt answered my question.

Relocating battery to the bed, i am also doing big 3 upgrade. is the following correct for basic opertion
1. 1/0 gauge from battery positive to alternator positive post
2. 4 gauge from battery to starter big lug.
3. 1/0 gauge from battery negative to alternator mount or in my case alternator ground pin

Now also in addition to my question, what do you guys to get power to truck? i haven't found a main fuse like on my s10. and the only place i see is a bus/junction bar under a panel under the hood and even its not labeled very well. my main quesiton is where do i run either another run of 4 ga or 1/0 ga from positive battery post to the truck in order for it to get power and run.

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i understand that the battery in the stock location with the big 3 can be done easily, but the 2 main lines the 4 ga and 8ga that normally come off the battery right there can't be used when the battery is in the bed.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From battery to starter, I would use the heaviest gauge wire ( could get. Perhaps one gauge,) as this wire carries a very heavy current from the battery to the starter, especially on a cold or difficult start situation. As for the ground or return line, you simply need to use the chassis of the truck as the main conductor, with a heavy gauge (1?) wire connecting the battery negative to the chassis, and a similar type of wire connecting the engine to the chassis.

The whole idea here is to prevent votage drop to the starter motor. A welding supply shop might be a good source.