Reference: Model Differences/Variations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff's88silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's odd that Jeff's 88 Silverado doesn't have the mounting holes for an overhead console? I guess they didn't use them that year?

Im not sure how the console mounts at the back. But i do know on my roof skin i can take a punch and knock out a plate for the screw for the front of the OHC.

But either way its getting the console when i get a headliner.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your talking about the SS then no. IIRC in reg. cabs you have to cut some squares in your roof for it to work.

Would love to know more about this. I'm probably going to be losing some console space, if not all of it, and I really want the overhead console.

I have a coupe of Q.'s about interior differences.
In what year did GM start to cheap-out on the Reg. cab interior trim? Things like the 'A' pillar covers. On the early ones, the trim went all the way back to the rear of the door opening. On the later ones, the trim stopped at the top of the 'A' pillar. The trucks with the short 'A' pillar covers, also did not get the 'B' pillar covers, the wide piece on the roof, nor the cover under the rear window.
Also, in what years did they come with the bench with the small fold down driver's armrest? I know that they are early production, but not sure of when they changed. The '95-'98 3-bucket backrest style has got to be the most uncomfortable GM seat that I've ever sat in.
Have the overhead consoles been available since day one? How many variations of them are there?
Thanks.

That's something I really love about the SS buckets. They are way different than the regular style buckets that came in these trucks. I dunno if they were an option on anything else or not, but I'd look for a set of those. Thinkin about haveing mine covered and seeing if they can stiffen up the sides to hold me in better.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Thinkin about haveing mine covered and seeing if they can stiffen up the sides to hold me in better.

This can be done!
But it's just not a matter of gluing some foam on top of what's there already.
The factory foam has to be sliced open on the sides, front to back, then a wedge of 'rebond' foam glued inside of the sliced factory stuff. This will raise & firm up the outer edges to hold you in the seat better, but it will retain the original shape, more or less, along with the original feel of initial comfort of the seat.
The wedges in the cushion taper from small to large, from the center to the outer edges.
The backrests are more of a compound taper. The will have the same taper as the cushions, but will also taper small to large, top to bottom.
If the foam wedges are glued on top of the existing foam, not only will it eventually shift around inside the cover, but it will not feel right to sit in, especially for any length of time. I learned to do side bolster build ups like this years ago. I hate having my jobs come back to me for a repair on something I did. I don't get paid to do it a second time!
'Rebond' foam looks like carpet underlay. A bunch of foam chips glued together. Comes in different thicknesses up to 4" thick, & in different densities.
Usually a new set of covers has to be made to fit the new shape of the foam.
I really wish that I lived closer to more of you guys. I just hate to see good money spent on a half-assed job.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wish you did too. How bout when you make your road trip this summer you stop by in okc, and I'll get you a place to stay for a couple days and you can build me some seats. :) On a serious note, can you recommend anyone in the local area to do something like this and do you have an idea of what I should be paying for something like this.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Gee, I don't know of anyone in your area, let alone one to recommend.
Best thing to do is ask around. Usually the better custom upholstery guys don't advertise too much, other than by their work. They have a clientel that they've built up over the years, and rely on word-of-mouth.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Would love to know more about this. I'm probably going to be losing some console space, if not all of it, and I really want the overhead console.

That's something I really love about the SS buckets. They are way different than the regular style buckets that came in these trucks. I dunno if they were an option on anything else or not, but I'd look for a set of those. Thinkin about haveing mine covered and seeing if they can stiffen up the sides to hold me in better.

454SS seats were an option on any truck i bealieve, also standard option in Sport trucks, mine are out of a Astro Van, will admit not exactly the same, but VERY similar.

You must be registered for see images attach