Reel Light Install Location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is technically under the hood, so I guess it belongs here!

I bought a reel light from a member on here, but I didn't know that there were two different mounting styles.

The one I have has three holes, we will call them west, south and east...

I saw some pictures of another style while browsing for other members install locations that have 3 holes located on the eastern side. Because of this, he was able to get it mounted on the firewall next to the AC Dryer. I will include a pic of the one I am talking about with 3 holes on the "east" side.

Has anyone added the 3 screw mounted reel light to a later model gmt400 and where did you install it?

As you can see, my 3 hole light would be screwing into air at this location.

You must be registered for see images attach

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found some space on the passenger side of the fan shroud, but even using nuts, bolts and large "fender" washers on the backside, I am not sure how confident I am in the plastic holding up as a mount.

The benefit is the battery is RIGHT THERE, so I can throw in a fusible link and do some easy wiring over to the battery.

There is just not a lot of open real estate on the firewall or fenders (I have the cargo box)

I might be able to remove the factory foam cover on the Dryer (included a pic for reference) and gain an inch or so of wiggle room to slide the reel light towards the passenger side to get some mounting surface from the firewall...

Edit: Dryer, without the foam, is still looking like a no go. I guess I will start looking at the hood as an option. I still have the insulator up there so it is a little difficult to determine if there are any braces that are wide enough to fit all 3 screws in a place that will not hit something when closed. I will investigate later.

Last edited:

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm... I just looked at mine...it’s over the open air portion too..oem spot. 2 screw mounting. Only difference is mine has the three holes on the upper right hand portion.

So on mine, I have the screw under the light bulb itself and on the farthest upper right (north if you will.)

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm... I just looked at mine...it’s over the open air portion too..oem spot. 2 screw mounting. Only difference is mine has the three holes on the upper right hand portion.

So on mine, I have the screw under the light bulb itself and on the farthest upper right (north if you will.)

Yah, just to clarify... yours has 5 possible mounting holes and mine has 3.

Yours allows you to use 2 mounting screws and mine allows you to use one in that OEM position.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Technically I have 6 mounting holes. Wonder if it was a 96 year change thing.

Here’s my old one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MountainDont