Reel light location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Hi all, I haven't seen this exact thing covered yet, so I'm going to ask. Just watched a video on a '96 Suburban, and happened to notice that this truck had the optional reel light mounted on the right side of the firewall. I remember our '90 square body Burb had one there, but I don't recall ever seeing it there on a Vortec 400 truck or SUV. The units I've gotten at the yards have all been from the early trucks where it's on the right side front fender, between the air cleaner hose and the battery.
Screenshot attached, see where the purple arrow is pointing....
So...how many trucks are out there, 96-up, that have this reel light on the firewall, or where else would you put it? Since the fender is full of air filter box....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221219-125706~2.png
    Screenshot_20221219-125706~2.png
    688.4 KB · Views: 27

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have one of those lights lol. I don't think they used them on the Vortec trucks, like you said the air filter is there. But I wanna say I've seen them mounted on the firewall, but think it was the 88-94 trucks.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My neighbor has a well equipped, all-original 1996 RCSB C1500 that has that reel light in that same spot on the firewall. I've seen a few Vortecs in the junk yard that have lights on the firewall, but not nearly as often as I do on TBI trucks.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
We never used it on the '90 Burb, but it did work and I was glad it was there if we ever needed it. I wish I had pulled it off before we sold the truck.....
Once it quits raining, I'm going to look at Rawhide to see if there's room for one on the firewall. I have the lights I got last week, here in the trailer.

Das Hatt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
But I wanna say I've seen them mounted on the firewall, but think it was the 88-94 trucks.
On my 92 I have a reel light mounted on the fender between the battery and the air inlet. Not very bright when I first got the truck about three months ago, but I cleaned up the ground right next to it, and it got noticeably brighter.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
On my 92 I have a reel light mounted on the fender between the battery and the air inlet. Not very bright when I first got the truck about three months ago, but I cleaned up the ground right next to it, and it got noticeably brighter.
Yes that location is the factory one for the TBI era trucks. The ones I have gotten at the yards have been there. I had never seen one on a Vortec era truck, so I was surprised to see the light on the Suburban in that video.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
My 96 2wd has one on firewall. Mounted one on my 98 4wd in same place. Mom wants one on her 400 escalade for some reason. She also wants the storage box in her caddy too.