Recalibrate 4L60E for bigger tires.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To answer the original question...

http://www.blackbearperformance.com/

Figure out all the details on your truck (gears, etc.) and pay them for a tune. DO NOT have them modify shift firmness or torque management if you want that 4L60E to live. (Ask me how I know) They may be willing to just recalibrate your speedometer for less money (standard tune is around $350) if that's all you want to do, but their performance tunes do make a huge difference and they offer free re-tunes for life.

There are lots of other places that do mail order tuning on these '96+ trucks as well. Nelson Performance, PCMs4Less and Wester's to name a few.

And yes, put a giant transmission cooler on if you haven't already.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
To answer the original question...

http://www.blackbearperformance.com/

Figure out all the details on your truck (gears, etc.) and pay them for a tune. DO NOT have them modify shift firmness or torque management if you want that 4L60E to live. (Ask me how I know) They may be willing to just recalibrate your speedometer for less money (standard tune is around $350) if that's all you want to do, but their performance tunes do make a huge difference and they offer free re-tunes for life.

There are lots of other places that do mail order tuning on these '96+ trucks as well. Nelson Performance, PCMs4Less and Wester's to name a few.

And yes, put a giant transmission cooler on if you haven't already.

You can shorten shift times without hurting the trans, especially if torque management remains intact on the upshifts. Shorter shifts mean less slippage.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can shorten shift times without hurting the trans, especially if torque management remains intact on the upshifts. Shorter shifts mean less slippage.

Yeah we've been over this before, I'm sure you're probably right. Personally I would just leave it alone for the sake of my sanity though. The factory 4L60E in my red truck roasted 3/4 within 500 miles of me having Black Bear mess with that stuff. I'm running 100% factory shift settings on both of my trucks after that experience.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've tuned several hundred 4L60Es in cars and trucks. Depends on the setup but all stock I remove all the Torque Management and shorten the shift times. Faster and slightly more firm shifts can extend the life of a transmission if it is serviced properly.

For instance, my dad has a 2004 Silverado 5.3/4L60E/3.73s/ and factory size tires,255/70/16.
I tuned it when I had 28,000 miles on it and we serviced the transmission every 30,000-50,000 miles.
I finally replaced it this year when I put another engine in it for him. The 5.3 had eaten cam bearings and lost oil pressure. Transmission was still shifting fine with 297,000 miles on it.
Clutches and bushings had seen better days and I'm sure he could have gotten another 25,000-30,000 miles out of it.

But a larger cooler along with the correct gear/tire size they should last awhile. Keeping it from shifting all the time helps the most.

I've tried to tune some these kids trucks with 3.23 gears and a stock 4.8 with 37" tires in a heavy crew cab. Dumb stuff like that and the transmission is going to be struggling no matter what you try and do to it without the right gears.

I always tell them that a bone stock truck the transmission might last a little while. But they always want to go and do nitrous or turbo and expect a stock 4l60e last in a truck. Some it only takes a few thousand dollars later to figure it out.