Rear view mirror and Homelink installed...finally

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had all these parts for some time from random trips to the JY and finally took the time to install and wire them up. My truck has a factory overhead console (crew cab) but the garage door opener compartment was useless and I like having the temperature/compass too. A while ago I bought a console with the DIC but then figured out it wouldn't work well with my truck so I sold it and went back to stock.

The Homelink came from an escalade (I think) and I had to make a slight modification to make it fit where the original garage door opener compartment is and the mirror on my truck must sit a little lower than the donor vehicle the new mirror came from as the "wire cover" doesn't go all the way to the headliner, so I will need to figure something out on that as well.

The wiring was easy as I already had power and ground up there from my fuel pressure gauge install from a couple of years ago so I just tapped into that and had to run the two additional wires from the temp probe. The Homelink has three wires on it's pigtail, white, black, orange. I tied switched power to the white and orange and black went to ground. After I did it and it worked I am now curious as to how it remembers the codes when I turn off the truck?? Flash memory? Either way, it works and i'm happy to get rid of the opener on my visor.

Now that this is sorted, the next step is to redo my headliner and visors as they are in bad shape.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One other thing to note is that the homelink and the pocket on the rear most of the console are from another vehicle and are black, where as the rest of the covers are a dark grey. Now that I know all this works I am going to disassemble them all and paint them to match when I pull it down for the headliner repair.

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
looks good. I wish I had a garage, or I'd put one in my truck.

You can also get a dome light lens from a s10 blazer/astro van that fits in the sunglasses pocket. If you aren't using that pocket, you could wire up a nice dome light there. The astro vans alos come with longer consoles, but I've never tried to see if they fit our trucks (I'll have to remember to check when I go to the JY this week).

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Nice install. And when your at the Junkyard again, find the wire cover from a Buick LeSabre. It's longer and snaps into place like the Truck one.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Good write-up. I think the smaller top piece that slides into the bottom is missing.

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know about the wire cover. I'm going to check around the next time I'm at the yards picking.

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What size gauge do you have in the front? I'm interested in putting a trans temp gauge in the same place.

Also - where is the temp probe on the donor vehicles so I can grab one next time I'm at the yard? Are they just inside the grill area?