Rear sway bars (anti roll bars) what got them and what didn't?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
neither my 89 or 97 c1500's had a rear bar
As mentioned elsewhere, I think it's more of a Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon thing. Pickups that had them were probably ordered that way. Also possible that Pinger's Burb, since it was ordered for export and therefore has some different options, may not have been ordered without one. I guess (having never seen an order/options book) that the components of the towing package could be ordered individually.
And I will get and post pictures from under my Burb of the bar and brackets. Just been stuck with extra work from other people not getting their stores' tasks done ( and not letting the boss know till Saturday afternoon and it all has to be finished today! ). At lunch now or wouldn't have time to be online LOL.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A rear bar on a longroof would take a lot of torsional stress out of the frame. Without it, the roll has to be transferred to the front and dealt with there - unless the rear springs were stiffer to add roll stiffness (unlikely at a guess).
Mine when I go for a turn rolls at the front as it dives in. I think I don't notice the roll-oversteer as the rear outside spring flattens anymore. Helps it turn on the tighter bends. 'Hello roll-oversteer my old friend' was my first thought when I started driving it though. We're buddies again by now.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
None of my trucks have the rear sway bar, wish they did though. On the other hand, my 99 K1500 parts Burb had the rear sway bar, so it looks like just the Burb's mainly got them, and maybe some trucks if they were custom ordered with one.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
A rear bar on a longroof would take a lot of torsional stress out of the frame. Without it, the roll has to be transferred to the front and dealt with there - unless the rear springs were stiffer to add roll stiffness (unlikely at a guess).
Mine when I go for a turn rolls at the front as it dives in. I think I don't notice the roll-oversteer as the rear outside spring flattens anymore. Helps it turn on the tighter bends. 'Hello roll-oversteer my old friend' was my first thought when I started driving it though. We're buddies again by now.
The 2500 Burb should have an extra leaf or two in the rear springs than my 1500 Burb does. That would stiffen it up a bit. What little bit of curvy roads we've driven it on, and its predecessor, I could tell the rear bar made a difference. Since the SUVs and vans are one large box body instead of smaller components like the pickups, they have stronger frames as L31 Max mentioned. Good to know I'm not the only one who figured pickups didn't get rear sway bars unless special ordered that way.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 2500 Burb should have an extra leaf or two in the rear springs than my 1500 Burb does. That would stiffen it up a bit.

My C2500 has 5 main and a helper so 6 in total.

What little bit of curvy roads we've driven it on, and its predecessor, I could tell the rear bar made a difference. Since the SUVs and vans are one large box body instead of smaller components like the pickups, they have stronger frames as L31 Max mentioned.

How much rigidity does the one piece body add - and what does it contribute to the torsional stiffness given it is rubber mounted? The pick-up's weak point is between cab and bed I thought. They would benefit from a stronger frame and, a rear bar as it would reduce the twist going down the frame and reduce it at that key point.

Good to know I'm not the only one who figured pickups didn't get rear sway bars unless special ordered that way.

Maybe because when they are unladen they are lighter than a longroof can ever be at the rear. Too much rear bar can make a chassis tail happy (esp lift off oversteer) and compromise traction on the inner wheel.

It's all a bit confusing!
There's a train of thought that believes a chassis must be torsionally stiff. But that is only true if trying to transfer roll from one end of the vehicle to the other. If the roll generated at either axle is resisted at that axle then it won't try and transfer to the other end. Body on frame is not a stiff chassis so a rear bar makes sense (each axle looking after itself). But that's not how it is - or not universally across the GMT400 range.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have to look at what came stock for our trucks. After this snowball effect I'm confused lol. I know suburbans and Van's have sway bars because there top heavy.. on that note why the k1500 suburban dont have rear sway bars blows me.. IF that's true I can only see it because of off road capability. Now 2500 c or k suburbans I would imagine the extra leafs help make it more stiff of a ride not needing the sway bar. IF it didnt come with it. LIke mentioned above. Silverado are not top heavy so I bet gm didnt require then to have em useless a certain combination offered it. Meaning crew cab or something similar. As far as frames idk I always thought they were the same but somebody had pointed out Silverados are different then the suburban because of the 3rd row. Here's my thought. Silverado may have a stronger bed frame support for abuse but not where it tranform to the cab. Any c frame has always been a weak design also known for twisting. That's why all are boxed frame including suburbans nowdays. So say you dukes of hazzard a silverado c1500 I would bet you bend the frame like a u. Bending the cab and the bed together lol... say you dukes of hazzard a c1500 suburban you would probably blow the suspension before you bend the frame and body or bend the front end to the fender bending that part of the frame.. just my thoughts. But kinda makes sense considering the difference among the 2