Rear end Whine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bwchevyguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I usually have my stereo up loud, but a couple of weeks ago I had a client with me and had it off. I notice a whine coming from the rear end. It's got 127k miles on it. What should I do? Is it about to go out? Thanks for the help.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it always there or comes and goes with accelerating or coming to a stop

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seems like it is always there, but it does seem to get louder or softer at different speeds.

Might be your pinion bearings, my Tahoe made a simaller noise, made it for the first 20k I put on mine when I picked it up, then had the pinion seal replaced cause it was leaking, and you would think they would have checked the fluid level but didn't ended up blowing the rear end they ended up paying to have it rebuilt and been fine since, but ya from what I heard its a pretty common issue on these trucks tho

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Yeah sounds like the pinion bearing to me...I'd get that checked out as soon as you can because I let mine go for a while and the metal shavings wore down the gears so they had to be replaced too. $1100 job by the time they were done

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my ext/cab it was my center drive shaft bearing it fooled me big times I thought it was my right side bearing and race it sounded like metal grinding big times.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
i was having that same problem and you could get under there and move the drive shaft up in down so i thought pinion bearing but i tightened up the nut on the yoke and its been fine ever since