Rear end swap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dean Vanzant

Reaction score
I'm sorry for posting another question in what seems to be a very posted about subject but I haven't found anything definitive in my searches for information. I have an 01 2500hd donor truck that I'm going to swap the drive train into my 93 c2500. Can I also swap the rear end? Looking to upgrade from drum to disk if the swap is feasible since I already have the rear in the donor truck

Any insight is appreciated!

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is quite a bit of width difference. The 800 is about 4" wider than a 4wd and 7" wider than a 2wd.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It will work. Just need to move spring and shock mounts. Ever notice the rear tires are sucked in? Looks like the front are sticking out more? They are actually, but using a wider rear will correct the "look" and make it handle little better too. But IIRC, GMT400 3/4s don't have different width axles. Only goofy one is the 14b semi with 6 lugs. Also reread the post and saw talking 2wd.....

Dean Vanzant

Reaction score
It will work. Just need to move spring and shock mounts. Ever notice the rear tires are sucked in? Looks like the front are sticking out more? They are actually, but using a wider rear will correct the "look" and make it handle little better too. But IIRC, GMT400 3/4s don't have different width axles. Only goofy one is the 14b semi with 6 lugs. Also reread the post and saw talking 2wd.....
Yeah, I don't know that there's anyone here local I would trust to move or weld on new spring and shock mounts. Is there a specific year/model that has a disk rear end that would fit the existing spring and shock location? I know there are some aftermarket disk brake conversions but I haven't seen one for eight lug yet

KennedyEngine

Reaction score
I’m doing a duramax swap in a k1500 suburban.

I installed the 1150 rear axle from the duramax into the suburban and had to re located my spring perches in more but the shock mounts lined up fine.

I swapped the hydro boost from the duramax into the suburban as well so the brakes would function as intended

Dean Vanzant

Reaction score
I read that I could pull the axles and swap just the brackets and rotors/calipers over in place of the drums. The article said that all I would need is a spacer to get caliper bracket out far enough. Sounds like that would be easier than trying to relocate spring perches and shock mounts

Gibson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Their is another option to consider.
A few months ago, I posted a thread about a conversion bracket that allows you to use the old style 14FF, the one that has the drums behind the hubs, this set-up makes it so that you can convert those rear axles to the 800 series discs using all of the factory parts.
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/800-discs-on-older-14ff.43968/