Rear end popping when turning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Talisman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys,
My truck has a factory 10 bolt 3.73 open rear.

Recently the rear end pops when turning, but not going straight forwards or backwards.
On the snow, and I can turn tight and begin backing up and watch the left rear lock and skip almost like a locked posi would do.
Only does it when turning and I haven't pulled it apart yet due to being busy with the holidays. Replaced the carrier and spider gears last year. Factory ring and pinion.
Just trying to get a feel for what it'll be, knowing it will probably be apparent once I pull the rear diff cover. Truck is currently parked until I get time to mess with it.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea the locker g80 crap is my frist thought, second would be a bearing, be it carrier or axle, a bearing nonetheless

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would not rule it out, put load on that side by turning and shifting weight or something.

usually they whine or make noise when they start going out but I'm sure they could start going out and not make noise.

I'd be checking the g80 crap first and change it out, then I'd dig into bearings if that doesn't fix it.

Talisman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't have a G80, just an open carrier. No locker.
Will tear it apart soon and see the damage

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
He's right the changing loads can make a sick bearing yell ouch. Could have a broken tooth on the spider gear too.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea or even a tooth on the ring or pinion or anything really, even if they are new.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
i having this same kind of problem and i do have the g80 think I'm just going to try and find a 14 bolt