Rear Drum Brakes 1996 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chief_Handy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes to the questions but I'm not sure I know how to properly adjust the parking brakes. But its like they haof way work, it holds the truck but occasionally the truck will roll or if you push it you can move it. I but a new equalizer from CHEVY because the one napa sold me was junk. My biggest problem is adjusting the brakes, seeing how I Dont know how lol. I think im really gonna start narrowing all this down. I know the brakes are on correct but adjusted correctly, more than likely not.

Chief_Handy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
the pics don't tell me much. but to be clear: you can put the parking brake pedal all the way to the floor and the brakes do not enage?

Are the new cables the same dimensions as the old ones? assuming they are correct, did you adjust the brakes properly prior to testing the parking brake? if yes to the previous two questions and the driver's side works properly, have you tried increasing tension on the passenger's side cable via the equalizer?

i know finding the correct rear parking brake cables for my ''96 k2500 was a pain - on some the cable length itself was correct but the sheathing length was wrong. The dealerships around here listed multiple options even when provided with the VIN / GVW / wheelbase.

Additionally, the (new) dorman equalizer (p/n: 21121) fresh out of the package was complete junk and ended using an ac delco (p/n: 25512384).

Any tips on adjusting the drum brakes? Because I'm just about to replace all these damn cables lol. I guess it won't do any good if I don't know how to adjust them hahah

ernjohn

Reaction score
With the transmission in neutral (chock the front wheels if not on a lift) and the rear wheels off the ground. I usually just tighten the star adjuster to the point where the drum can't be turned by hand then back it off to the point that the drum just barely contacts the shoes. One side at a time.

You may need to press the arm away from the adjuster with a screwdriver or pick to loosen them.