Rear Disc Brake swap for 97 K3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old post. I like using the search button!

I have a 1996 GMC K3500 DRW

Did you have to weld on brackets or bolt on kit? I’m going to call tomorrow to see which ones I need.

Using their website I have 14Bolt Full Float Axle. The only thing I’m not aware of are the style of drums I have. I don’t recall how the drums are installed
I believe DRW axles will need to have the brackets welded on. But they may have made a change in kit options, I haven't talked to Lugnut4x4 in some time but when I called and emailed they got back to me in a flash and answered all my questions.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The best way in my opinion is to grab an axle from a GMT-800 and move the spring and shock mounts, assuming the width is close. For a dually, you might have to use the 11.5" as I'm not sure the 10.5" was built for DRW at that point.

I wouln't mind getting a SRW 14bff with discs, but between me not welding, and not really having any reason to need discs, I'm going to stick with drums, if I ever get around to rebuilding them.