Really wish ppl would stop bringing me trucks with hydraulic fluid in trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

peezy555

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, what I was trying to touch base on, and partially mentioned in this thread earlier. Is heaver oils are harder to push, also creating more drag, which deceases mpg, but it would probably take a small miracle to convince me that wear wasn't sacrificed over a higher mpg rating to increase sales.
Now you’re talking

peezy555

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read years ago that a multi viscosity oil was not multi viscosity at all. Take a 10w40,the oil has the viscosity(pourability)of a 10 weight but the shear strength and wedge capability of a 40 weight and maintains that capability with increase in temperature whereas a straight weight oil would have the viscosity,shear and wedge of a 40 weight when cool but lose those attributes as it warmed up.
I think it may have been the same article where I read that synthetic motor oil is not a man made synthetic. It is crude oil that has been homogenized so that all the molecules are the same size. According to that guy the molecules of regular ol oil are different diameters(yup,oil molecules are round)so a moving part is only lubricated by the larger molecules. By homogenizing the oil and making all the molecules the same size the moving part is being supported by more molecules. Sounds good huh! The thing is I'm seeing the same amount of wear over the same time and conditions as good ol crude.
And the synthetic oil’s molecules look like bunch of soldiers in formation

peezy555

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, it's unreal what you see in this business, lol. And just when you think you've seen it all, something else comes in the door to let you know that you haven't seen anything yet...

Do you rebuild transmissions?
Yes only 4l60es but can do em with my eyes closed . That’s all ppl drive and drove in my town is Chevy. But I learned a lot about transmissions by surrounding myself with everything 4l60e. Even ASE certified in automatic transmissions

peezy555

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah got a legit trans table I built. I’m my bedroom Holding up pretty good I know it’s messy but it’s tear down
Not like we all haven’t done this…right?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Talking about the heavy weight gear oil yellow rotella

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 5

peezy555

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
And I’m no way am I saying that I know it all. I learn stuff everyday and keep my ears open and head on a swivel to any all all things trans.. I hope to never run outta new things to learn and will keep an open mind to everything. I’m genuinely trying my best to help these trucks that came from the factory with sub par auto trans and not really a fighting chance to live a long and healthy life like the rest of em. GMT 400s and 800s hold a special place in my heart and will always be my task to kept healthy
@Drunkcanuk that’s a sexy ride you got there

peezy555

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, here we are, still conversing.

No factual evidence has been proven as to why not to use Hydraulic fluid, i.e HyGard in transmissions.

You've simply said GM miffed up their trans fluid mixture and caused issues.

GM didn't put HyGard in these 8 speeds...
Agrees

peezy555

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny how just last night I watched a video short of a guy machining an LS block for sleeves because according to him, since they weren't made for boost, people boost them and crack the cylinders. You must sleeve them.. every one!

While he's probably correct in some cases, obviously we've seen many examples over and over of people slapping a turbo on a boneyard LS and going to town without any ill effect.

Richard
Facts

Status
Not open for further replies.