Really wish ppl would stop bringing me trucks with hydraulic fluid in trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
See, he's wrong. The boost isn't what cracks a piston crown, causing cylinder damage. It's a poor tune and lack of gapped rings that cause the cylinder damage.

I associate these kind of people, with Yosemite Sam, ready to pull both pistols out and start blasting, but only one's loaded and the other isn't.
100%

peezy555

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I value your opinion and your contributions. I really do. But I won’t continue with another pissing match with anybody else with this issue.
But question. What was the reason that GM had a recall with the 8 speeds when they first came out ? And had every truck they hit the lots and sold come back and get fixed for free??? It was millions

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
But question. What was the reason that GM had a recall with the 8 speeds when they first came out ? And had every truck they hit the lots and sold come back and get fixed for free??? It was millions

That was a combination of defective torque converters and "rolled" hydraulic lip seals upon installation. Not all 8 speeds had that issue. The 2020 trucks received improved torque converters and revised seals.

peezy555

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ll tell you it was an issue with the type of atf that was used . It was found to have properties that made the wyd hydroscopic (absorbs H2O). Which rusted vanes in torque converter and causing failures This was not discovered till after mileage and use..this is prime example of the 100+ years that these engineers have put in these technologies and continue to improve everyday. They didn’t just come to a conclusion and not give another consideration…and you as an engineer should have an open mind to experiences other than personal . Don’t let the false ego veil your eye of understanding and solely rely on your eyes of seeing

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, it's unreal what you see in this business, lol. And just when you think you've seen it all, something else comes in the door to let you know that you haven't seen anything yet...

Do you rebuild transmissions?
I primarily do GM then Ford and Dodge with an occasional foreign unit like a BMW ZF or Toyota A340 mixed in...About 3/4s of my non-4L60E stuff is for performance, resto-mod swaps or off-road use. I have a few tool chests just for transmission specialty tools acquired over the years...while they have long since paid for themselves, it's staggering to think about how much cash is laid out for them, in the aggregate and in some cases, individually.

I also do manual transmissions, just not as often...

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
I’ll tell you it was an issue with the type of atf that was used . It was found to have properties that made the wyd hydroscopic (absorbs H2O). Which rusted vanes in torque converter and causing failures This was not discovered till after mileage and use..this is prime example of the 100+ years that these engineers have put in these technologies and continue to improve everyday. They didn’t just come to a conclusion and not give another consideration…and you as an engineer should have an open mind to experiences other than personal . Don’t let the false ego veil your eye of understanding and solely rely on your eyes of seeing

So, here we are, still conversing.

No factual evidence has been proven as to why not to use Hydraulic fluid, i.e HyGard in transmissions.

You've simply said GM miffed up their trans fluid mixture and caused issues.

GM didn't put HyGard in these 8 speeds...

peezy555

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is 100% an opinion.

I understand, from this conversation, you may have no experience with performance transmission building and are simply speaking against something you have no knowledge on. We've all been there, i'd say. But to make such a broad comment, without anything factual to back it up, is a different story.
Dude I hope one day it will come to you that the negativity that you are trying to force into my positive advice and truth. Is a short sidedness and a flaw in your character that will do nothing but hinder you from anything good.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Saw-dust and bannana peels in differentials, transfer cases and manual transmissions
Black pepper and brake fluid in radiators
copper anti-sieze in engine oil
Lucas snake oil and hydraulic fluid in auto transmissions
Kerosene in hydraulic systems... and in general just swapping auto-trans fluid, hydraulic oil, snow plow oil, etc willy-nilly.
copper shim-stock inside u-joint caps
Tire plugs in gas tanks

Its amazing what some people do to just get those last few miles out of a junk beaters or farmers do to just get through harvest.

peezy555

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I primarily do GM then Ford and Dodge with an occasional foreign unit like a BMW ZF or Toyota A340 mixed in...About 3/4s of my non-4L60E stuff is for performance, resto-mod swaps or off-road use. I have a few tool chests just for transmission specialty tools acquired over the years...while they have long since paid for themselves, it's staggering to think about how much cash is laid out for them, in the aggregate and in some cases, individually.

I also do manual transmissions, just not as often...
Also you gotta take into consideration the amount of money you ultimately spend on atf especially in the beginning that you never get back. It adds up big time