RCSB L83 6L90 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VAMTuning

Reaction score
I picked up this ugly duckling the other day...great body except someone sprayed it with canned bedliner.

View media item 32556
The original 5.0 had a bad rod knock so my buddy Tim and I yanked it and the 700R4 out. 60 minutes later and it was gone, the magic of Facebook!

View media item 32558
Now to tidy up a little bit and get ready for the new motor. Factory fuel lines will go away. No throttle cable and no cruise control. I will keep the column shift because that's cool. SO much room for activities!

View media item 32557
I bought this truck as a development platform for Gen V "LT" motors. The first one I bought for this truck ended up being a HUGE turd and needed a complete rebuild. It was bored over .020 and new Wiseco -5cc pistons to drop the static compression from 11:1 down to maybe 10.5:1. I used an LT5 camshaft and springs to remove AFM. ICT billet makes rails to block off the high pressure direct injectors and adapters to bolt on older "LS" intakes. To start off Ill be using an LS7 intake and maybe an LSA down the road. Waiting on my oil pan and this can get mated to the 6L90 and put back in.

View media item 32554View media item 32555

VAMTuning

Reaction score
Engine is in. I had to replace the motor mount rubber with some energy suspension inserts so the mounts wouldn't sag. Then came trying to find exhaust manifolds. I tried LT4 manifolds, then some Hooker Blackheart headers for the 2014-2016 trucks and finally some Hooker LS3 style manifolds. There is miles of space on the drivers side, but the passenger side is very tight. I ended up shoving the motor way back and I think I can angle off the collector enough to make it fit.

View media item 32584View media item 32586View media item 32587
Also got the summit tubular upper and lower control arms and the Reklez suspension 4/6 drop kit started. Hope to have the coilovers tomorrow and finish a couple more things and get it back on the ground. Then work on the wiring!

View media item 32583

VAMTuning

Reaction score
Really wish these would have worked but they hit the steering shaft. Even switching to the Jeep XJ shaft didn't help. They are gorgeous!

View media item 32589
This was not fun to pull but came off in one big chunk. In the end this was an easy way to get to the back of the motor mount bolts, and I wanted to do the suspension all along....just expensive.

View media item 32590
Looks pretty good in there.

View media item 32591View media item 32592

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
You're doing something wrong..... I don't have permission to view any of that: "You do not have permission to view media within this album."

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking good. So the outside of the truck is black and the engine bay yellow?