Rag Joint / Steering Coupler Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the early 3500 even have rag joints? Mine has a thick plastic cover where a joint would be and it's a pita to remove just to look.
Hooks around one of the PS hoses, unhook it and slide it up the shaft.

The 3500HD got a U-joint, I think everything else got the crappy rag-joint. The 3500HD shaft is probably discontinued by GM; there was some talk of it being out-of-stock due to "supply chain issues", but I don't think it ever came back into stock. However, there may be some hanging around in Stealership parts departments, and Dorman was selling a similar unit.

The 3500HD U-jointed shaft (plus a longer bolt) pops right in place of the rag-jointed shaft for vehicles without the extra joint in the steering column--'94 and older, I think. It's a VERY worthwhile upgrade.

You must be registered for see images attach

drag sgt

Reaction score
I've heard grumblings about the quality of RHS boxes lately. Have you made any adjustments to the steering box once installed? I think these trucks will always have some play, even with a new rag joint. If your truck is a newer model and has a tilt column, I think there's an extra joint and bushing inside the cab?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
However, there may be some hanging around in Stealership parts departments, and Dorman was selling a similar unit.
The Dorman part is still available on RockAuto.

Supposedly GM part still available here, but who knows.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think it’s a safety thing. So it will collapse in a front end collision.
No. Welding the rag joint won't stop the shaft from collapsing.

There needs to be some flex there, either by rubber or a joint. Stuff moves.
Yes. The cab which includes the upper section of the steering column is mounted on rubber, the steering box is bolted directly to the frame. Any frame flex, or cab movement on the bushings, (or just plain misalignment of the box and shaft) requires some way to allow for relative motion in the steering shaft.

Welding the rag joint is nuts.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ooh! $129 is the cheapest I've seen those in a while, and I need one. But Christmas and broke.

Luke_P

Reaction score
My 1989 k3500 SRW had a rag joint. The plastic cover is easy to pull up the shaft after you unhook it from the ps line. I replaced it with the Cunningham shaft and that took away most of the play.
In my case, welding the rag joint would not have worked. The steering box and the shaft are not aligned, so the rag joint was working like a u joint in addition to whatever vibration it was taking out.

440hershey

Reaction score
I just installed a Borgeson steering shaft in my 98 k3500 CCLB. it uses the factory slip joint but replaces the rag joint with a universal fitment was awesome and took out all slop. Severely disappointed in the Red top steering box leaked as soon as I went around the block.

trackster12

Reaction score
Do not weld the rag joint solid, replace it with a u-joint or new lower shaft and rag joint. Don't cobble steering parts, it could kill you.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The cab which includes the upper section of the steering column is mounted on rubber, the steering box is bolted directly to the frame. Any frame flex, or cab movement on the bushings, (or just plain misalignment of the box and shaft) requires some way to allow for relative motion in the steering shaft.

Welding the rag joint is nuts.
^^^This.