Radiator Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sand_Blaster

Reaction score
Hi

I have just clocked 60K Miles on the odo. I clock almost 110 miles a week. My office is around 55miles away from where i live. Once i reach my destination i always keep the car idling in Ignition for 5 mins. I read somewhere that the oil pump needs to slow down before it returns to normal circulation, moreover i wait for the radiator fan to shut off so i know that optimum temperature has reached. Fortnight ago, I noticed that the radiator fan rotates for a longer period before it shuts off. A Few days back, on my way home i had the Car aircon ON. I observed that the aircon wasn't cooling. I had a similar issue a year ago and than noticed that the thermostat reading was going up. I immediately parked and waited for almost for 30mins for engine to cooled down. I called my regular engineer from Authorized service centre . He suggested that i open the radiator cap and pour in some water. I would have imagined that there's no coolant in the radiator but to my surprise i had just poured close to 10ml of water and the radiator was full. I checked the coolant reservoir and i noticed it to be half full. My service engineer suggested that i keep the radiator uncapped and drive at a very slow speed to the nearest meeting point. Driving with uncapped radiator will vent out build up pressure. I drove for almost 7miles before we met. He looked around and could not find any problem with the radiator. He removed the radiator's fan switch, which will keep the fan ON at all times in ignition. By this method the thermostat will be disabled and will not display the temperature. I reached home and coupled the switch. I checked the temperature and it was pointing at normal position. Next morning, i checked the level of the coolant and the level was OK, didn't need to top up.

It has been almost 5 days since the incident and i have not faced any problem with overheating.

What could have been the problem??
You must be registered for see images

PS : I got the car serviced @authorized service centre at 59K miles. I had changed the air filter at 52K miles.
I read somewhere that the radiator needs to flushed at every 30K miles. Last i had flushed the radiator was at 9K miles in 2013. Pls suggest.

I also checked the engine oil level and found to be OK. Last evening on my way home, i noticed the thermostat needle going up. Immediately i slowed down and i could hear the radiator fan running too. As soon as i slowed down, i could see the needle returning to normal position. On reaching home the fan was running for almost 3mins nonetheless the thermostat needle was pointing at normal position all the time.

Tomorrow, I plan to get radiator flushed to ascertain the issue.