Questions on Misfire for 98 Burb with 7.4l

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BappleApple

Reaction score
Firstly, I'd double check the porcelain on plug #3 to make sure it isn't cracked, and also I'd test that plug wire with a DMM to ensure the wire is actually good and reading @ 3000 Ohm or less. (I've had many sets of brand-new plug wires that came with a faulty wire, It actually happens.)

Once that's done and if the wire is certainly good, Pull plug #3 but leave it hooked to the wire & crank it to check if there's actually a spark, and if so what color is the spark producing?

As far as fuel injectors go, You can view the PWN circuit signal for your fuel injectors to ensure they're all operating the same, But that would take a rather decent O-Scope if you may know where you could get your hands on one. (Not sure exactly where the pulse widths should be at, but each injector's PWM should certainly perform consecutively with each other). But note I've seen numerous of these with injector leaks, but not one single instance of one instantly failing that caused it to completely miss.

She does leak antifreeze. I know the lower manifold has been leaking off and on. Normally if the truck is only ran for short amount of time she weeps out the front. If I run it for a longer period of time she seems to be okay.

Unfortunately man, I'm kind of expecting this to be more of your problem then anything.
With that issue, I'm willing to bet you it's leaking way worse then you think, As the engine gets warmer & heat soaks, Everything literally expands and your leak gets bigger. And vise versa; Being colder means the more contracted everything your leaks smaller.
If you're not seeing it leak after you've driven it & warmed it up, Then that leaky intake has heat soaked & expanded enough to begin sucking it into the runner(s) and into the cylinder, rather then just seeping out the sides like you've seen.

New development is that I can hear a mechanical clicking noise on that side of the motor.
Just pray to god that's just an exhaust manifold leak & not your valvetrain doing a war cry from attempting to combust antifreeze, heh..

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually the news would probably like to hear your story. They might have a "On your side" division like my local news has that'll approach businesses about this stuff.
Nope, never. When was the last time they uncovered shady practices at a dealership? Or a specialty shop chain? They won't investigate any company that buys advertising, and when they only investigate mom & pop shops, it drives people to dealerships and chain stores.

This shop is being a bunch of dirtbags. If I'd had a truck in the shop for a control arm, tune-up, and oil change for a second day, I would have got my butt chewed. Two weeks? And they can't diagnose it? Tell me, how does a burnt valve compression test good, but cause a misfire? How does crank endplay fit into this? Put bad reviews on every website and look for a good shop.

BappleApple

Reaction score
Tell me, how does a burnt valve compression test good, but cause a misfire? How does crank endplay fit into this?
Either fraud, or master methcanics at work! (Possibly both :eek:)
That shop is talking straight out of their ***** man.
I can't imagine the amount of foolery they've pulled on people who don't know any better.

Frogprince

Reaction score
Either fraud, or master methcanics at work! (Possibly both :eek:)
That shop is talking straight out of their ***** man.
I can't imagine the amount of foolery they've pulled on people who don't know any better.

Who knows. The upper control arm they showed me was shot.

Ever since the kid took over the shop full time it has gone down hill. Overall will never go back. New shop said they will let me know what they find out. I told them what I know;

Leaking Lower Intake
Hot Start Issue
Misfire on 3

They are leaning towards fuel related. They are going to start at the fuel rail and start checking. Hopefully I hear back shortly with what the verdict is. Once I have that I can decide if it is worth confronting the old shop or just call it money spent learning they are idiots.

8T7K5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you checked your ignition coil and ignition control module? I've got a 99 K2500 Suburban/big block I'm working on now and had similar issues. Do yourself a favor, if you're going to replace injectors check both of those. If you're into it that far, replace the regulator unless you know it's been done recently because it's nigh impossible to get to with the upper intake on. And, if you're replacing injectors, pull the distributor and replace the lower intake gaskets as well. Both upper and lower are known for leaking and even if you're only slightly mechanically inclined you can do this.