Question on starter upgrade to gear reduction type for my vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bob850

Reaction score
I have a 1993 C1500 Suburban, 5.7L engine. The starter is bad, it has the old style direct drive starter.

The Delco website says my starter should be a 337-1016. I would like to swap to a gear reduction starter. However, the Delco site does not list an optional gear reduction model for my vehicle/year. However, if you pull up starters for a 1994 suburban, it lists the 337-1022 gear reduction type as an option. The funny thing is that the site says my 337-1016 starter works on 1992-1994 suburban (same engine, etc).

So if my old starter works on 1994 models, and the gear reduction one works on 1994 models, doesn’t it stand to reason that the gear reduction one should work on my 1993 model?

Any info would be appreciated.

Stokes1114

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes it does work. Just make sure to get the correct bolts for the smaller starter. They are a different length.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I've been doing some trolling and I think some of the advantages are the gear reduction starters aren't susceptible to heat soak like the old ones and also require less current to spin the engine. So much friendlier with a weak battery or extreme cold.

bob850

Reaction score
Thanks for the confirmation. The heat shield that is on my starter does not appear to fit on the gear reduction starter. Is the heat shield needed for the gear reduction type? If it is needed, is there a newer style heat shield that came on the gear reduction ones?

I thought that since the starter is smaller and therefore a bit further away from the exhaust manifold, that maybe I could skip the heat shield. What have you guys done?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You can skip the heat shield. There is one that comes on them from the factory, though. Absolutely do not overlook the mounting bolts as mentioned.

The benefits are stronger starter with less current draw. Also way easier to heft that thing up there and bolt it up; they weigh far less than the full size unit. If you have tight clearance for whatever reason they're a better fit, too. I had to run one on my old '92 due to a chopped up Y-pipe that was raised above the crossmember since the truck was dropped.

Richard

bob850

Reaction score
Also, do I need to shim the new starter? It was a real bear to get it to wedge into place. So I’m guessing there’s not much room to shim anyway, as it really pressed up tight against the bell housing.

blacksport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have a new old school starter it was done b4 i got my truck it's been pretty hot here i don't have any problems. i do have a 5.3 on the engine stand if i run into any problems guess i'll throw that starter on.
on a different note anyone seen this??
if you are going to spend big money it seems sweet
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
check the dyno numbers at the end of part 2 WOW!!!

Last edited: