Question on oil cooler lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

draginlow

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am rebuilding my motor right now. It's a 91 tbi 7.4. This is a towing rig and going through it to make her reliable for another 300k. One of the things I am doing is changing out the crapy oil cooler lines. Going to swap them over to an style stainless steel braided lines. My question is when I pulled out he fittings to get the size I seen this on the one fitting. On this engine the cooler lines come out of the block not a adapter housing on the oil filter. It is a pice of plastic on the fitting. Someone told me it was a filter screen. If so the screen is long gone. Can I just put in a regular fitting and be fine? Wanted to be sure I won't screw anything up. Thanks.
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Good question, I'm not sure on that. I wouldn't see a reason for it to need to be filtered, in fact i would believe you would want as much flow as possible... But i could see you wanting to avoid sludge within the lines if you had nasty oil running throughout.

CORRECTION: LOL just read this post... already answered. haha.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
You found your answer before I could reply. :) Good detective work.

Richard

Yup, good job.

I found quite a bit of info on the boat forums, where the oil cooler is more important...... the boat engines run bigger lines, by using a sandwich adapter, but the block is still talked about of course. I chose to go the opposite direction and eliminate the lines, at least for now.

draginlow

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I know the block style fittings were not used much so It may of been a hard one lol. I wanted to keep the cooler because I hull quite a bit this this truck. Here she is. Just a good old work truck ha ha.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well after searching forever i found the answer. it need to be there or you will have no flow. its not a screen. if anyone is looking here is a site with the fitting to a -10 line. http://paceperformance.com/i-514623...vy-oil-cooler-connector-3-8-npt-to-10-an.html

dragin, did you finish your oil cooler lines?
I was wondering, what is the best size? I found another thread here mentioning using -6AN, however this fitting is -10AN.

What size did you use for the other fittings and lines? Is 6 or 10 better for oil flow?
Thanks for your help, sorry for the old thread bump :D

draginlow

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used -10 line. I never was able to find the correct fitting to go into the radiator. It's a 3/4x18 o-ring if I remember correctly. I ended up buying weld on fittings and tig welded it to the original line coming out of the oil cooler. So far so good. Haven't towed any really heavy so far but a -10 is about the same id as the oem line.
You must be registered for see images attach

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used -10 line. I never was able to find the correct fitting to go into the radiator. It's a 3/4x18 o-ring if I remember correctly. I ended up buying weld on fittings and tig welded it to the original line coming out of the oil cooler. So far so good. Haven't towed any really heavy so far but a -10 is about the same id as the oem line.

That looks awesome!
Thanks for the info!