Question on 88-94 factory stereo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, I learned the stereo in my truck is 3 pieces, the am/fm controller, the tape deck, and the metal box the first two connect to. Didn't know about the box until Friday, guessing this is the "brains" of the system? I have the simpler version of this radio. My question is, is the same metal box used on the base am/fm/cassette and the fancier version with AM stereo and equalizer? My guess is it doesn't but figure someone here has to know the answer to this.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
The boxes should all be the same, but I could be wrong. I had to replace the "brain" box on my grandpa's 93, total PITA, but it got the radio working again.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is the same for all. The cassette / equalizer / and or CD (there were a few) all plug in in different parts of the connector on the brain box. Pretty well thought out except the caps dry up and it quits. Modern radio with blue tooth / speakerphone really adds a lot.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Thank you guys for confirming they are the same, that should help the OP. :)

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers, just wanted to make sure.

My cassette player won't play or eject. Had to fish a tape out with a screwdriver the last time I played a tape. I went to the U-pull-it yard this weekend, and the only cassette decks they had for 88-94 trucks had the built-in EQs. So was wondering if one of those would plug in and work with my current setup. Might try a couple more yards, not sure I need the equalizer, and the cubby is a good spot for my phone.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers, just wanted to make sure.

My cassette player won't play or eject. Had to fish a tape out with a screwdriver the last time I played a tape. I went to the U-pull-it yard this weekend, and the only cassette decks they had for 88-94 trucks had the built-in EQs. So was wondering if one of those would plug in and work with my current setup. Might try a couple more yards, not sure I need the equalizer, and the cubby is a good spot for my phone.

It should plug right in. Of course you might be installing another non working tape deck. That part is a crap shoot . Another thing to remember is that the GM speakers of that era tend to crap out. You might have a perfect radio and the speakers will not work at all. Best to change all of them out even if for simple cheap new replacements . If you are in a Silverado the pillar speakers are a bear to get out because of the high trim option. The Cheyennes are better in that regard as the speaker covers pull right off. One option might be to install door speakers in place of the column speakers but I know nothing about how to do that.

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, but I'll worry about the speakers once I get the cassette working again. But yeah, probably the original speakers. They sound okay for the time being. I have the SL trim, which is just a step above the W/T. I think the SL and Cheyenne are about the same trim level.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Oh gawd, the original speakers are F'in terrible.. Hurt my ears at just about any volume over 1/4. Replace with the 4x6 Infinity Kappa plates and your ears will thank you for it. My stock stereo sounds purty good with them in there and I did the auxiliary input mod too. Well worth the effort IMO as aftermarket stuff just looks like garbage these days, not to mention always having to reach to the center of the dash is a pain.

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe the speakers have been replaced, haven't looked at those yet, but they don't distort at the volume I play at. There's a few other things I want to work on before messing with them.