88 C1500 factory stereo upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcain226

Reaction score
Looking to get a better sound system in my 88 C1500; Is the factory stereo good enough or powerful enough to run higher quality speakers, or do also I need a new head unit? If I need a new head unit, looking at the Santa Cruz model. Looking for reviews of this stereo, as well as suggestions or examples of systems. My truck is a reg cab.

Thanks

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You would definitely hear an improvement from replacing the factory speakers with higher quality ones. The factory speakers are almost certainly in poor condition after 34 years. You would notice an even bigger improvement if you added an amplifier. However in an '88 standard cab all the speakers are little 4"x6"s, which you'll never get any real bass from no matter how nice they are or how much power you throw at them. You could add a subwoofer or put a set of 6.5" round speakers in kick panels if you want more bass, either of these will require an amp as well.

The main benefits of the RetroSound Santa Cruz (or most any new aftermarket head unit for that matter) compared to the factory head units in these trucks are pre-outs for running signal to external amplifiers, sound tuning/crossover settings, and creature comforts like Bluetooth and AUX inputs. The Santa Cruz's internal amplifier only puts out 18W per channel RMS, so it's not really any more powerful than your factory head unit. You can hook external amplifiers up to it easily though, where as your factory head unit would require an external processor or an amp with hi-level inputs to do so.

A lot of this really depends on what you're looking for and how much time/money you're willing to invest.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As above, stereos are like speed, how fast do you want to go and how much do you want to spend?
Adding an aftermarket head unit adds to potential targeting from thieves as well. At least the Santa Cruz unit is a a bit stealthy. There are Bluetooth gizmos that hook up to your phone and then the signal goes straight to the amp.
Let us know your goals,and budget, and we will help spend your money. Lol

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
You can pretty much run any speaker you want with the stock deck, especially if you upgrade it to one of the later models with the improved heatsinks and what not- they've got increased output and handle lower impedance (like 4 ohm) speakers better. There's a member on here, AK... something something who had a nice write up on which ones were what.

Bottom line is that it comes down to speaker impedance and sensitivity, measured with 1 watt @ 1 meter- I'm not sure what the factory speakers were rated at, but if you replace them with speakers that are at least the same rating along with lower impedance, you will at least appreciate better sound quality, but not necessarily performance. Don't bother with anything rated less than 92dB @ 1watt/2.83v @ 1 meter. If the speaker manufacturer doesn't post those specs, move along. The thing most people don't realize is that most of the time for normal listening, you are using 1 watt or less of the amplifiers rated RMS output. Because in a quiet setting, 92 dB, for example, is quite loud. There's no such thing as linear efficiency with amplifiers- which is my way of saying going from a 50watt amplifier to a 100watt amplifier doesn't net you a system which is now twice as loud. You might only see an additional 1 to 3dB of output from said move. The real reason you upgrade amplifiers is the ability to supply more current and headspace (within the automotive world). It's more often you'll blow a speaker from underpowering it than overpowering it.

Try these with your stock system, they're what I installed (along with one of those upgraded brainbox things that AK listed) and noticed a huge improvement: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-uG6pE...MI7_bE8cu--QIVHx6tBh1bfg4SEAQYASABEgKBNfD_BwE

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
I just upgraded the stereo in my ‘94 ecsb k1500. I added:

Retrosound Santa Cruz Motor 4
Quadraphonic in-line amp from retrsound
Infinity reference speakers to replace factory
Bazooka tube 50W powered sub under back seat

I chose the more expensive Motor 4 head unit because of the separate sub output. The quadraphonic amp allows me use use a high pass filter to send mids and highs to the Infinty speakers and the sub handles the bass. The Bazooka FAST twist harness is easy and ties right into the radio harness without needing a amp cable to the battery. I did have to run an amp cable to the battery for the quadraphonic amp but smaller gauge amp wire was built into the amp unit and I didn’t need to buy a separate cable. After playing with the gain on the amp/sub and the frequencies in the Santa Cruz it sounds great. I wouldn’t change a thing and I’m really happy with the results.

Everything was purchased from Crutchfield.

Here’s some progress pics.

Attachments

• A2CB3C0C-EB4B-4E5A-82C1-08AC0811EBAB.jpeg
    A2CB3C0C-EB4B-4E5A-82C1-08AC0811EBAB.jpeg
    398.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 6CA1C2EE-555A-4485-8BA8-59DD759086D2.jpeg
    6CA1C2EE-555A-4485-8BA8-59DD759086D2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 52
  • 382DC4C4-A6CE-49FB-B7B8-1BC0B96D0E67.jpeg
    382DC4C4-A6CE-49FB-B7B8-1BC0B96D0E67.jpeg
    363.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 88-94 trucks have a unique radio and as far as I know, Retro Sound Santa Cruz is the only replacement radio available to fit the OE radio location which was a must for me. I wanted to keep the OE look and convenience to me, the driver. I just recently bought one for my 91. RS offers 3 versions and I bought the least pricey one, the radio does include an aux input cable but the radio is pretty basic. I also just replaced the stock 4x6 speakers (originals) with Pioneer 4x6. I'm not looking for BIG sound, just better sound than I had. It's been a month or so and I am happy with my choice. Also I am very pleased with my purchases through Crutchfield.