Question about IFS suspension lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I was looking at the rough country lifts and I was wondering if there is a way to get around lowering the front differential? I'm only planning on doing the 2-3in lift so I know it won't drop it a lot and it's not a big deal, but I'd like to avoid lowering it just to get a little more clearance. Any help would be appreciated.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose you don't have to install it, but the point of it is to fix the cv angles. If you don't care about excessive wear on those or frequent breakage on them then I guess it wouldn't hurt. It's still going to be higher than the lower control arms either way so I don't see where you'd gain that much.

Reaction score
I know it's to keep the cv angles from getting too extreme and I'll probably drop the differential when I lift it, just because I'm probably not going to lift it much more that 2 or 3 inches, and I don't plan on doing any heavy offroading where I really have to worry about clearance too much. I'm really just wondering if I end up lifting it more later could I get some cv axles that can handle more extreme angles so I don't have to drop the differential too far? or would I be better off swapping to a straight axle?

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Buy a body lift or do it right. The rough country 2-3 inch kit is pretty lame and the ride quality will suffer.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Droping the diff is just the nature of the beasts on ifs.. I wouldn't be concerned at all.

You mentioned solid axle swap also.. If you want a larger lift in the future I wouldn't waste money on a 2-3" suspension lift. I think your wanting a body lift in the mean time.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Do what I did I know I'm going to go higher so I started with a body lift while I collect solid axle swap parts

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Droping the diff is just the nature of the beasts on ifs.. I wouldn't be concerned at all.

Theres really no way around it, you may not have to drop it with just the 2-3" kit, but you will be replacing cv axles very often. A straight axle swap is alot more work, and alot more expensive. If you never plan on doing any serious offroading (rock climbing and the like) then its hard to justify the cost. If your interested in any rough country product or have any questions about them, feel free to pm, call, or text me anytime.

Reaction score

You mentioned solid axle swap also.. If you want a larger lift in the future I wouldn't waste money on a 2-3" suspension lift. I think your wanting a body lift in the mean time.

I'm not really that concerned about it and if I do the 2-3" lift I'm just going to drop it so I don't eat cv axles. Also I don't know if I'm going to go higher later, but whatever I do I'm not going to body lift it, personally I don't like the looks of body lifts.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not really that concerned about it and if I do the 2-3" lift I'm just going to drop it so I don't eat cv axles. Also I don't know if I'm going to go higher later, but whatever I do I'm not going to body lift it, personally I don't like the looks of body lifts.
having had just a 3" body lift for many years(I took it off). I'm glad I had it but I'm not too big on them either. As small as it is I might do a 1-2" down the road on top of the 6" I have now.

Ultimately it's how you want the truck to look and what tires you have. I'd only hesitate on the 2-3 if your going to want more later. I personally like the 5" with 33's look or a similar proportions where you have more room in the fenders as opposed to the tires looking stuffed in there.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

5" on 35s