Question about ECU's when swapping to a 5spd....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SixPointTwo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a '95 Ext cab with a 350 and a 4L60E.

I'm pulling parts off an '89 regular cab with a 305 and a 5 speed. Also are the 4x4 5-speed/NP241 and the 4x4 4L60E/NP241 the same length? It would be great if I could use the driveshafts I have now!

What am I going to have to do about my ECU? Am I going to have to get a different chip to put in the ECU I have now? Or am I going to have to get a chip for the '89 ECU to tell it to use enough fuel for the 350 in my truck? And can I just unplug all of the automatic trans wiring in my truck and just run a VSS wire/backup light wiring???

I'm planning on taking the 4L60E setup and putting it in the '89 to use as a backup truck....

VCaddy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You'll want to keep the 7427 PCM in your 95, it's way faster and more precise than the 89's PCM. You can find the memcal from a 5.7/manual truck and swap it in, or get a G2 adapter and chip burning equipment from Moates and find the BIN you need to burn your own chip. I'd go the Moates route, it's awesome for TBI tuning. Gearhead EFI has tons of BINs and tuning files.

Putting a 4L60E in the 89 could be interesting. Those had 700R4s for the auto option. So the wiring harness is going to be totally different. And 95 4L60E is different from other years in the electronic controls.

SixPointTwo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You'll want to keep the 7427 PCM in your 95, it's way faster and more precise than the 89's PCM. You can find the memcal from a 5.7/manual truck and swap it in, or get a G2 adapter and chip burning equipment from Moates and find the BIN you need to burn your own chip. I'd go the Moates route, it's awesome for TBI tuning. Gearhead EFI has tons of BINs and tuning files.

Putting a 4L60E in the 89 could be interesting. Those had 700R4s for the auto option. So the wiring harness is going to be totally different. And 95 4L60E is different from other years in the electronic controls.
Is the memcal just the chip? Could I get a chip from JET or tbichips and tell them to change it to manual trans in the tune???

And I might end up swapping the manual back into the '89 when I find an NV4500 for the '95 if it's too big of an issue to swap the auto into it

VCaddy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, the memcal is basically the chip. Has a few other memory modules and stuff on it too. I'd figure TBIchips could set up a manual trans chip.