Quad Sealed Beam to Composite?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Low 89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay, to some I understand this may just be a plain stupid question, but here I go. I'm looking to convert my dual sealed beam setup to a composite light, mainly for the fact that I want HID's. What all do I need to convert from this current setup to the composite, as I do know that at the very least the pigtails are different, and I've also heard that I may need to modify the core support which will be a major PITA. I've tried looking online, but so far I've failed to figure out what all I need to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
From my understanding all you will need is the composite headlight housing and the pigtails. The core support is not different. But hopefully someone that has done this will chime in.

Last edited:

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From what I've seen as well or was told was just to get the composite lights and mounting brackets which come on most aftermarket lights, and then the 4 pigtails and be done. I plan to do the exact same to mine as soon as I get the cash.

Low 89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All right, thanks guys. It's not the fact that I dont like the look of the headlights, its just that they can be a PITA is all. What about the black area around where the dual lights are? Does that just stay there and then the aftermarket light will go over it or what?

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All right, thanks guys. It's not the fact that I dont like the look of the headlights, its just that they can be a PITA is all. What about the black area around where the dual lights are? Does that just stay there and then the aftermarket light will go over it or what?

What black area? Are you talking about the plastic mounting bracket behind the lights?

You do know that if you like the look of the quad headlights you can buy replacement lights to keep the look yet allow you to use capsule-style bulbs, right? That upgrade would also allow an HID conversion.

Low 89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What black area? Are you talking about the plastic mounting bracket behind the lights?

I mean the black part that's in front of the lights, that gives it the staggered look rather than being directly side by side.

You do know that if you like the look of the quad headlights you can buy replacement lights to keep the look yet allow you to use capsule-style bulbs, right? That upgrade would also allow an HID conversion.

Yeah, I believe it's an H4 conversion correct? I've looked into it, and I've decided that I'd just rather get the composites mainly because there's more options for them in the long run if I choose to change to a smoked light or whatever.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I mean the black part that's in front of the lights, that gives it the staggered look rather than being directly side by side.

That's a non-issue if you upgrade to composites. All of that will come off with the mounting bracket when you pull the sealed beams and won't be there anymore. Then you'll bolt on the new mounting bracket that the compsites are on and voila!

Yeah, I believe it's an H4 conversion correct? I've looked into it, and I've decided that I'd just rather get the composites mainly because there's more options for them in the long run if I choose to change to a smoked light or whatever.

LMC doesn't exactly specify what bulbs on their website, but I'm betting that for your truck it would be the same 9005/9006 bulbs that standard composite headlights would use. An H4 bulb is a dual-filament bulb and is what you would use if you had the big, single sealed beam headlights and did a similar upgrade.

You must be registered for see images attach

Low 89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a non-issue if you upgrade to composites. All of that will come off with the mounting bracket when you pull the sealed beams and won't be there anymore. Then you'll bolt on the new mounting bracket that the compsites are on and voila!

Okay, I was looking at it last night and it didn't seem to be quite like that, almost looked like it was a part of the grille. But, I'm going to trust your judgment over mine, as you clearly have much more experience with lighting than i do! But, next week I guess I'll find out as the lights have been ordered as well as the new pigtails needed for the conversion.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the part under the lights IS part of the grille and gets covered by the composties, the grilles are the same. The middle bar and the trim rings around them and the black behind them all gets removed it's the mounting bracket and divider. The staggered look is because they are, and they are sunken into the grille, composites sit flush with the grille outside.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the part under the lights IS part of the grille and gets covered by the composties, the grilles are the same. The middle bar and the trim rings around them and the black behind them all gets removed it's the mounting bracket and divider. The staggered look is because they are, and they are sunken into the grille, composites sit flush with the grille outside.

Oh, ok. I see what he was looking at. The stepped part of the grille below the headlights that sort of fills the gap below them.

Low 89, it's still nothing to worry about. The grilles didn't change in '90 when they changed to composite lights. In fact, even the '94-'98 grilles have this stepped look on them.