pulling the 4.3 vortec putting in a carbed 350 98' swb 5 speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjustin1978

Reaction score
Going to build a 350 with carb to put in my '98 chevy which has the 4.3 vortec. Ive been told it cant be done, because of the computer and the security stuff.they said ill never get it started with the ignition...just wondering if anyone has done this and could give me any advice

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's been done. My truck is a great example of a carb swap. However I got rid of the computer so I will be not of much help. You can bypass the security stuff or get it tuned out if need be

jjustin1978

Reaction score
Id like jus do away with computer completely..abs everything...wanna clean look under the hood.. simple..could someone give me some details on how to either bypass the security crap in the steering column or just do away with it? And what about deleting the abs..I appreciate it..I've always had old square body trucks so much simpler. Thanks

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
You still need the computer to run your gauges...

He won't need to control his trans. It's a 5 speed

Totally missed that in the thread title. Thanks man. +Rep.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are going with aftermarket gauges, it will be a ton easier than what I did. We tried to make the stock gauges work but that was a battle in its self. The only thing the computer will control in your truck will be the AC and cruise control.

jjustin1978

Reaction score
Does the computer control the head and tail lights? Or what about the heat? Don't really care about the a/c..I have manual windows and locks so I know I ain't gotta worry about that..like to just completely do away with the computer..

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think the computer controls the headlights or heater. Check out a wiring diagram. I didn't worry much about the heater on mine since I'm in Florida