PROPER wheel bearing adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmoutdoorsman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1998 1/2 ton 2wd 1500,that I replaced the front wheel bearings (inner,outter,and seals) and ever since I've had a litte shimmy/shake in my steering wheel. I've always heard to tighten the nut tight and then add an extra 1/2-3/4 of a turn to it,and make sure the wheel still spins freely.I want to get rid of the shake in my wheel (I know its probably wearing the bearings out more).Any help is appreciated.Thanks

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you replaced the races aswell they might need to be pushed farther in....Just crank down on the bearing a few turns till the wheel wont spin and back off and again..... helps seat the races......

that is exactly how I have to do it on mine !

gmoutdoorsman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Timkin bearings came with races but I don't have a press to remove the old ones so I just installed the new bearings in the old races.Think that could be my issue?

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Timkin bearings came with races but I don't have a press to remove the old ones so I just installed the new bearings in the old races.Think that could be my issue?

Probably not but ya never know......

To take out the races I use a flat punch/screwdriver and a BFH!!! and to install the new races I just put the old ones on top and tap the new ones in place.. Pretty simple.

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I personally would never ever use old races with new bearings. :Nonono: But then again I have a pretty bad case of CDO when it comes to rebuilding stuff so to each his own.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Put the new races in the freezer for an hour or so. Warm the rotors a bit. A torch works best, but a heat gun will do. Gotta be quick when you put them together. And like Steve said. Use the old bearing to tap the new one in.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Put the new races in the freezer for an hour or so. Warm the rotors a bit. A torch works best, but a heat gun will do. Gotta be quick when you put them together. And like Steve said. Use the old bearing to tap the new one in.

Exactly what I do on semi's... :waytogo: The easy way to set up wheel bearings if you're not going to use a torque wrench is to use a breaker bar to snug up the nut initially while turning the hub. This will seat the races etc... Then back off the nut one full turn and tighten hand tight (I usually just grab onto the socket and snug it up that way).

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Proper adjustment: Tighten the nut fairly tight to make sure the races are seated, back off and hand tighten nut until there is no slack and install the cotter pin. If you have a dial indicator, that is the best way to adjust them. Side note... make sure you use the washer with the tab on it when you re-install the nut.