Pre-Trip Maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
And how do I get that info? I dont exactly have an owner's manual.

Better bet is to get the last 8 characters of your VIN and call up the local dealership parts or service dept. Tell them you need to know the oil and quantity for the rear diff. They can also tell you what rear end you have and if you need limited slip or posi-trac additive. Keep a notebook handy. With the last 8 of the VIN and the cars name on the front. Write down the information they tell you. 10 bolt 9 inch ring gear with posi etc. etc. etc. When you order parts write them down and the numbers. Also go invest $30 on a Haynes manual. Big help. It's a beginners guide to doing it all. Between that and the local dealer parts dept., fixing your 400's problems should be a breeze. And if you run stuck you got the GMT-400 crew. Remember I'm pullin for ya. We're all in this together. *Red Green*

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And if the women don't find ya handsome, at least they'll find ya handy! *more R/G!*
almighty I felt like I was all alone in remembering Red Green.

I do have a Chilton, but by the time I found out that my Suburban fits under the 88-98 category, I already had the 99-0x one... Just havent felt like getting a new, but needing it more and more now...

A bit of googling revealed that I either take 75w90 or 85w90. And since I already know I have a G80, I'll probably want the additive.

Last edited:

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
And if the women don't find ya handsome, at least they'll find ya handy! *more R/G!*

Yusssssssss. So happy I didn't have to go through that awkward spot where I make a reference to something and laugh and realize nobody knows what I'm referring to.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
almighty I felt like I was all alone in remembering Red Green.

I do have a Chilton, but by the time I found out that my Suburban fits under the 88-98 category, I already had the 99-0x one... Just havent felt like getting a new, but needing it more and more now...

A bit of googling revealed that I either take 75w90 or 85w90. And since I already know I have a G80, I'll probably want the additive.

Too bad you don have the owners manual. Call up that dealer service dept. they got all the info you need. A call is free.....kinda..... Still undecided on branding of oil? RP here in Michigan is like $22 a quart v.s. valvoline or Lucas synthetic at less than $10/qt. mind you I got my AMSOIL on a holiday week on a cold contact for $10/qt +tax.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
75w90 is about $21/qt at AutoZone. $20/qt from Summit. Gonna just order it from Summit along with a couple jackstands and grease (AutoZone doesnt have RP grease).

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Stickin to the RP I see. I would definitely do the additive too. Hope all goes well. For the rear gear oil change I'm not sure if you have a drain plug on that diff or not. If you don't you have to take off the cover. Just as a security thing I would buy a new gasket even if the truck has a reusable one on it. You never know. If you don't need it you can always return it. I just upgraded my rear diff cover to your GMT-800 body style 10 bolt cover with a fill plug.
You must be registered for see images attach

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stickin to the RP I see. I would definitely do the additive too. Hope all goes well. For the rear gear oil change I'm not sure if you have a drain plug on that diff or not. If you don't you have to take off the cover. Just as a security thing I would buy a new gasket even if the truck has a reusable one on it. You never know. If you don't need it you can always return it. I just upgraded my rear diff cover to your GMT-800 body style 10 bolt cover with a fill plug.

This whole thing about changing my gear oil is because I have to replace the gasket because I have a leak, so the cover is coming off regardless.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
So you are already grabbing a new gasket. Make sure you get some emery cloth and sand down the dealing surfaces when you do it. Wipe off as much of the old gear oil as you can off the ring gear. Hit the pig and inside the diff with brake cleaner. Shove some rags in the bottom so it doesn't puddle up. Wipe it all off again before sealing it back ip

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you are already grabbing a new gasket. Make sure you get some emery cloth and sand down the dealing surfaces when you do it. Wipe off as much of the old gear oil as you can off the ring gear. Hit the pig and inside the diff with brake cleaner. Shove some rags in the bottom so it doesn't puddle up. Wipe it all off again before sealing it back ip

We've already covered all that actually.