PowerTorque Reman engines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Massey

Reaction score
I work for O'Reilly and I have worked for CSK before it was bought out. To be honest with you I would also not buy a PT engine. CSK would use local engine rebuilders, who in most cases had a reputation to cover and not a large corporate contract to keep them in business. When we were CSK only 1 engine (in 4 years) came back with an actual machine shop flaw and that shop covered the new engine and the installation labor. The only other engines that ever came back were installer flaws and in the warranty write up we never seen the words "somet'n broke". What we did see was a very complete analysis of the material lodged into the bearings and other causes of failure like not changing the oil after break in and using dirty tinware. These shops were not backed by a large corporate nationwide contract they were simply local vendors that CSK hired to supply us with engines. Even with the nice discount I get I will go to one of the shops that was a supplier for CSK and pay full price before I use PTQ engines.

Massey

89chevc1500

Reaction score
DRAGGIN95: this sounds alot like what my engine did but dont have an oil pressure guage to know what it was doing. PowerTorque has no way of diagnosing if the engine was at fault by just taking it apart and looking at it on these unusual cases like ours. they actually need to see and hear it run. My engine was beatin and bangin around and wouldnt run but just a few seconds. I had to push it on the trailer cause it wouldnt run long enough. this whole deal is bullshit.

Massey: oreilly ended up picking up the bill for my engine because they give the shop a new one before Powertorque made a determination of the warranty claim. I am very thankul they did this but I think their hands were tied on this one.

I can post the pics that they sent me of my pistons and combustion chambers if yall would like to see them?

well I do have an oil pressure guage but i have been told by everyone I have talked to about it said that the 88-89 model years had very unreliable guage clusters. I had to replace mine already.

Last edited:

89chevc1500

Reaction score
I'd only want a powertorque or mastercraft engine if it were a one-time use engine in a stocker dirt track car lol.

this is true but wouldnt want to be the loser that lost the race cause I cheaped out on my engine!

89chevc1500

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

89chevc1500

Reaction score

Keep in mind these are the pics PowerTorque sent me.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What ever got in there/whatever was left in there looked to be pretty good size by looking at the dents on the pistons

89chevc1500

Reaction score
yes, well as I think I mentioned in my first post, the #1 spark plug was smashed flat! whatever it was did some damage for sure. its just BS that the shop wont stand behind their work like this.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
If you bought a long block and took it to the shop then they have no responsibility for any internal issue that may arise. If it was a short block it would be a completely different story. I would not remove and reinstall the engine for free. If the shop dropped something in the intake that could have caused that damage it would have been noticed as soon as it was fired up. Not only would the techs know immediately, they customer would hear it loud and clear. Have you ever heard a nut or washer in a combustion chamber? It sounds like a blender full of rocks, not possible to miss that. As much as I'm sure you don't want to hear this, you have no chance of winning any suit or getting anywhere with a complaint. I would, and I have in the past for customers, offer you a remove and replace at a discounted price just to be nice. No way would I even think about covering the whole thing though.