Power to amp, no sound from sub?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SixPointTwo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just hooked up a new sub and amp in my truck. A Boss R1100M amp and this sub in my truck. ChrisAU has the same setup in his truck and he said it sounds great so I know they work together. I've got everything hooked up how it should, the amp comes on (power light comes on, logo lights up, and no "protection" light on) but nothing comes out of the sub. I've got it set to Low-Pass, bass boost isn't on (shouldn't be for a single sub), the RCA cables are run from the back of the Alpine head unit to the amp. Speaker wires are hooked to sub positive/negative and to amp output, still nothing. What's going on here???

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Check the wires in the box, and also verify that the sub output is turned on in your head unit settings if it has those settings.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Not familiar with the deck, but is there an option to turn the sub output on or off?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not familiar with the deck, but is there an option to turn the sub output on or off?

X3. Seen this stump people so many times.

If that's not the problem then make sure your amp's gain control isnt turned all the way down.

SixPointTwo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the wires in the box, and also verify that the sub output is turned on in your head unit settings if it has those settings.

Hmm...the speaker isn't hooked up to the +/- inputs on the outside of the box already? That would do it :rotflmao:

This is my first amp/sub installation so I'm a little green. Thanks Chris I'll check it out after work.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Hmm...the speaker isn't hooked up to the +/- inputs on the outside of the box already? That would do it :rotflmao:

This is my first amp/sub installation so I'm a little green. Thanks Chris I'll check it out after work.

It should be, but it could have come off during shipping or something. Or they may have forgotten to hook it up.

SixPointTwo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It should be, but it could have come off during shipping or something. Or they may have forgotten to hook it up.

Well the Subwoofer setting is turned all the way up on the headunit (Alpine CDE-102) so it must be the wiring in the box?

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Check continuity across the vc on the sub if there isn't any it's blown

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm assuming vc means voice coils? The average person won't know what that means

Fredridge

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Start here.

Get an ipod or something with 3.5mm to rca - plug it into sub amp (making sure everything is on)

If it works, problem is before amp. If it doesn't work, problem is from amp on

check your gains on the amp -

check speaker wiring as has been suggested

standard troubleshooting.... eliminate what is not the problem