No Power to Amp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JS45

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
97 k1500 ext cab 3rd door

Truck had a sub when I bought it and kenwood headunit no amp. I took the old headunit out installed a new kenwood had to redo the wires since it was a different plug in the back. I wired it the same as the other the only thing the new headunit didn’t have was the dimmer.

The truck had the wires in it from the previous amp so I connected all those to my amp and sub but I am not getting power at the amp. I did see a blue wire coming up into the area behind the radio.

Is that for the remote turn on? Should that be wired into the blue wires on the other side of the plug?

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you read the instructions with the new stereo, you'd discover the blue wire is used for either powering on an amp, or raising a power antenna.

JS45

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got that. Blue wire from headinit is wired to the harness just like it previously was. There is another blue wire coming into the compartment that isn’t connected to anything.

My question is should that wire be tied in to where the blue wire from the headunit goes to the harness?

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
Is the other end of that blue wire the one you hooked up to your amps remote turn on? Whatever amp you have, the wire you hooked up to its remote turn on command needs power when either you key on, or turn on the radio, whichever you prefer. On my small amp/speaker I put in my single cab, I just ran the remote turn on wire from the amp to a key on powered fuse in the fuse panel on the driver side in the cab. I used one of those "add-a_circuit" fuse taps things so the amp comes on key on. If you want to use the radio to turn it on, then you need to find which pin on the plug/harness gets powered when the radio turns on and connect into it the same wire on your amp for the remote turn on.

JS45

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m going to mess with it this weekend. I’ll run the blue to the other blues and see if that solves it. Will report back. Thanks