Power steering question..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98tahoe4dr

Reaction score
So my 98 tahoe has the stock gear box but a oreilly power steering pump.. the pump I have has the bypass already because when I bought it that's how it was... if I wanted to go back to the evo where would I find the plug and wires to even put the valve on there? The reason I'm asking it because I'm tired of the steering it's way too scary... feels like the wheels aren't touching the ground but any little twitch and we start swerving. I'm not hesitant to run wires from the pcm if I need to I'm just looking for a point in the right direction.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That does sound more like a front end issue - gearbox, steering linkage, etc.

If you wanted to put the EVO valve back in (and I doubt it would change your symptoms at all), the connector comes out of the harness that goes to the crank sensor. It’s probably tied up somewhere nearby.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my 98 tahoe has the stock gear box but a oreilly power steering pump.. the pump I have has the bypass already because when I bought it that's how it was... if I wanted to go back to the evo where would I find the plug and wires to even put the valve on there? The reason I'm asking it because I'm tired of the steering it's way too scary... feels like the wheels aren't touching the ground but any little twitch and we start swerving. I'm not hesitant to run wires from the pcm if I need to I'm just looking for a point in the right direction.
remove the control valve from the rear of the pump and show us the valve condition, and also measure your diameter of pulley

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's not a pump issue. That's a mechanical problem . Pump doesn't steer, you do, or defective steering parts do the driving for you.

98tahoe4dr

Reaction score
That's not a pump issue. That's a mechanical problem . Pump doesn't steer, you do, or defective steering parts do the driving for you.
I don't think there's any issue just someone did the Evo bypass on my tahoe and I don't like how loose my steering wheel is.. I feel like i can blow on it and it will turn.. I searched the internet apparently it's a common thing for people to do the bypass but I don't know why someone would want their steering that free...

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have EVO on my 99 Suburban. It is super light at low speed but I can't imagine how that would feel at higher speeds. The way it weighs up once past that very low speed suits me fine. Admittedly I've not driven a non-EVO GMT400 but if it has that level of assistance at slow speed at higher speed also I doubt I'd like it. So, in summary, I can easily understand why someone would want EVO.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So this is not a mechanical problem. It's the fact that it steers too easy. Which most people would prefer having a very light touch to steer, two fingers.
My mother loved the later Suburban with the easier steering, and bitched about my 95K2500 being harder to steer. I said you drive a vehicle for soccer moms , kid taxi, grocery getter.
I drive a truck with tools, dog hair, moving my crap and other people's crap, swap meets so on. The persons who drive my truck really don't give crap about how it steers. It works fine.
She didn't speak to me for week after that.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Both of my '97s have the EVO bypassed, one with a '96 pump and pressure line and one with the GM EVO bypass kit on the stock pump. Both feel about the same now, and it was not a dramatic difference from properly functioning EVO in either case. Steering is a now a bit lighter than EVO was overall IMO but it's not a huge change.

I don't think reinstalling the EVO is going to fix your issue...

I'm curious about your pump's control valve like @AuroraGirl mentioned, both if it's sized correctly and if it's working properly. How is your EVO bypassed? Do you have a replacement pump with the '96 style pressure line connection, or the EVO bypass kit from GM on a '98 pump?

For the record, the Edelmann 6023R pump (spec'd for a '96, pre-EVO) on my '97 C1500 works great. Feels just like the stock pump on my '97 K1500 Suburban with the GM EVO delete kit installed.